Alienware Graphics amp question

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Phoenix, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It is a huge bottleneck to people like me. Lets take your benchmark as an excample. You card which runs at 2150mhz would run like this in a benchmark:
    https://www.3dmark.com/fs/15241456

That's still a 15% bottleneck in a benchmark that utilizes the CPU very well. Games tend to be much more unforgiving, especially when you're playing a game that uses the bandwitdh more.

https://egpu.io/alienware-graphics-amplifier-review-faster-than-thunderbolt-3/

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My bad it was 2050 that run and that guy ran with much higher memory clock speeds. I did not overclock the memory. Also I compare apples to apples. You are showing a run where a user used a 8700K and even though the graphics score is mostly based on the GPU alone, the CPU still is a factor.

Again I have shown you numbers of an internal 1070GTX which is overclocked, 100mhz less but with more cuda cores vs an external GPU with a bit less cuda cores but 100mhz more clockspeed and you can clearly see they almost score identical. Also I have posted a link where PCI express scaling is not a factor yet. Your link, and i have seen that one before is bottlenecked by an Intel ULV cpu which might run on the PCH? Not sure, that is the only source that I saw that claimed that the AGA was running through the PCH. But as shown in my setup this is not the case.

The 1070GTX that I use was actually part of my deskop setup, which now is somewhere discarded in my closet because there where no performance differences at all.

DrewN and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.
  3. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The AGA does not significantly bottleneck. Stop spreading disinformation. My 13r3, 7700HQ with a 1080ti FE smokes 17r4s with the 7820K and 1080. It doesn’t hold up to most desktop processors with a 1080 ti, but matches the numbers from the few examples running older desktop or newer mobile cpus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrewN and rinneh like this.
  4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    CPU has nothing to do with the GPU score on firestrike. It's not a factor in firestrike unless you take the combined score into consideration which we don't do. Also again, a GTX 1070 notebook version is significally worse compared to a desktop GTX 1070. Saying that your desktop 1070 runs the same as a notebook 1070 is confirming a bottleneck.

@Ihtfp06 Where is your benchmark? Where is the numbers showing your performance on the 1080TI.

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thats why there are 1070s with equal clockspeeds in the 3dmark database that perform lower on lower specced CPU's......

Even though the difference is small, its there. Other users claim that tested it around 3 to 5% https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...-a-slightly-higher-firestrike-graphics-score/

Which is similar to the score difference between your link and my link (even though that guy also has a heavy memory OC next to a 100mhz higher boost).

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/10010898
    This is run I did when my 1070GTX was still in my desktop, slightly higher clocked, higher memory clocks as well, and again you can see that graphics score are in exactly the same range. It cannot be more apples to apples, I provided you with 3 Firestrike runs, 2x the same 1070GTX used in a desktop and AGA and an AGA vs internal 1070 comparison on the same laptop. There is no bottleneck.

In DX11 Nvidia is offloading quite a bit onto the CPU, not as much as AMD (thats why in general AMD tends to perform a tad better on DX12).

Also you conveniently ignore the rest of my posts.

-No, the AGA is not connected through the PCH (for all Quadcore Alienwares).
    -Performance is near identical with similar clocked internal and external 1070's to prove the bottleneck you portray is not there.
    -Techpowerup and other sources clearly state PCI express bandwidth is not a big factor yet between 4x, 8x, 16x.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    DrewN likes this.
  6. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    25K on Firestrike using the laptop display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Maxed Out

Maxed Out Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got the equipment in my sig, if benchmarks needed, let me know.

Everything is running stock speeds, only repasted with AS5 the CPU/GPU and eGPU. I have already replaced a motherboard so I will not be overclocking right now.

8. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Simple answer @Phoenix -

AGA hooks up directly to the PCIe lanes/CPU. So you get full PCIe 3.0 x4 bandwidth. Still bottlenecks higher end GPU's GTX 1080+

TB3 based solutions go through the PCH for conversion to PCIe signal and then to CPU, so that adds conversion overhead along with adding a decent amount of latency.

DrewN, Papusan, rinneh and 2 others like this.
  9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    When using my external 4K monitor on my Titan X in the graphics amp (AW13 i7 7700HQ), the performance was very close to regular desktop cards.

When rendering onto the internal display the performance was definitely less.

If you play GPU bound games and use the external monitor(s) to game with the amp + GPU you should be fine.

bloodhawk, DrewN and rinneh like this.
  10. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    One thing to note with 4k is that, there are other factors that start to make a difference. At 1440p/1080p is where the bottlenecks are actually perceivable.