AlienWare build quality???

Discussion in 'Side Topics' started by SillyHoney, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SillyHoney

SillyHoney Headphone Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I haven't owned an AlienWare before. Now I'm going to put my hand on it (Nov 03 I hope). But I see so many posts in the forum complain about display color bleed, hinge broken, video card died, LED problems, fans issues, power cord malfunctioned... Is is normal for any laptop brand? I used to own an MacBook Pro and it worked just like a charm. I also do not hear many complains about MacBook.
    I think AW in laptop world is like Ferrari in automobile because of its power and design. But is it known for top build quality?

2. lemonspeaker

lemonspeaker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here's the thing you need to consider. We, the people on this forum, make up less than 2% of alienware's total sales. So your odds of having a defective system is VERY VERY SLIM.
    The reason why you hear so much complaining here is because the other 98% of Alienware customers are happy enough with their system and have no intent to join an online community of peers supporters.

3. SillyHoney

Reputations:
    Thank you! It's good to hear that :D Those complaints couldn't keep me from ordering an M17x, though ;)

4. menengroth

menengroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the build quality on the M17x is really good man, solid as a rock, alienware's best to date, havent had any hardware problems with mine at all

5. lordqarlyn

lordqarlyn Global Biz Consultant

Reputations:
    I am one of the lucky ones, I received a machine that was in excellent condition. My power brick did fail less than a month, but I received a replacement quickly and it has been working well.

6. airplaneman

airplaneman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My first laptop died on me, but I got a replacement shipped out and this one has been working beautifully since I got it in late July.

7. otaku

otaku Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All machines will have some issues in some quantity and you will here a great deal about them online. I have had issues with my m15x but have enjoyed owning it just the same. I hear excellent things about this latest lineup.

8. Blazertrek50

Blazertrek50 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am on my third AW laptop:
    1-mALX - big 19 inch screen with an amazing paint job! Loved it but the cpu grew old/slow so I needed a faster one for WoW and Office suites...sold it and got the:
    2-m15x - have been using it for over 14 months with nary an issue. It has performed wonderfully and is very mobile.
    3-M17x - I am in love...errr well not love but it is the most amazing laptop that I have ever owned.

Any time I had an issue with my first lappy (the mALX) I called AW support and they answered all my questions and fixed the problems :)

You are going to love (err enjoy very much) your M17x!

Even though I enjoy both my AW lappys very much I kinda miss my huge mALX. It was like having a big screen TV with you anywhere you went. It was kinda heavy but with the unique backpack that came with it I had no problem transporting it everywhere.

9. AMDgamer

AMDgamer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They are solid as far as I can see.

10. SillyHoney

Reputations:
    Thank you guys! Your comments make me even more excited now :D Can't wait...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.