Alienware become very laggy/slow in simple windows operations

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Psiwentyl, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes i got both set at High perfomance. I cant run this wPrime, tried both but i get error "unexpected error; quitting' straight after clicking on the .exe files. Tried on different websites but all downloads are directed to their website and same file is being downloaded.

I downloaded O&O and every option, but Smart Screen is disabled.

I did make tests for the both disc benchmarks you mentioned and here are the results. From what i checked the score on OS SSD disc is low

SSD C: San Disk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my WD 2nd disc that i use for movies/storage etc(skipped 4k-64Thrd test here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Papusan likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I'm on my little phone.. Post your ssd model and brand name. Same for your HDD. The OS ssd score is terrible. I will search it up. For Wprime.. right click and run as adm. Then Follow the tutorial in previous post. Well done so far.

Psiwentyl likes this.
  3. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    SSD - SanDisk SDSSDP128G

the 2nd- storage disc is WDC WD7500BPKX-75HPJTO 750,1 GB

wPrime 2.1 - 1024m on 8 threads - 257,643 sec
    wPrime 1.55 - 1024m on 8 threads - 225,494 sec
    (My bad, havent noticed that "run as adm" earlier)

Before doing that wPrime i've also run some Perfomance Test 9.0 by Passmark and here are the results:

[​IMG]images

Papusan likes this.
  4. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @Papusan My overall laptop perfomance is ok now after all the cleaning, hard format and instructions provided here. My only concern is now if i should change this bad SSD drive. I can get new one if it really helps in the overal perfomance and it will run smoother and faster. But should i just do the one for C disk or just replace both discs(including D:- HDD) into SSD. I also have 2 HDD discs connected to laptop as i use both for Media and use my laptop as Media server for Plex, so that i can watch movies on my TV, but it would be possible to get SSD for main media that would be in place of the HDD, and just have one more HDD connected for important files/storage etc.

also are this wPrime results for CPU ok?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Papusan likes this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Nice everything went well:)
    If you have the money... Replace both. You can have up to 3 ssd's (1 of them M-sata). Even 4 if you scratch the ODD. But you definitely need a new OS ssd. Only 2 choices I will recommend. Sandisk Extreme Pro or Samsung 850 Pro. Minimum 240GB size. Both have MLC nand.

Get 2 of those http://www.anandtech.com/show/8170/sandisk-extreme-pro-240gb-480gb-960gb-review if you have the money. If not... 850 Pro as said. Remember if you go for 3 ssd's, one of those must be M-sata if you don't replace ODD.

Edit: Your Wprime 1024M scores is as well ok and within normal:)
    http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_4700mq/

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Psiwentyl likes this.
  6. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    M
    Thank you once again or Your help and to everyone that contributed in this post. I'm glad everything is ok and i can only upgrade now to get it better. I will have final question with it. San Disk extreme is not an option as i dont see any places in my country to get it right now, no idea why is that. I will be in the UK for few days but decided to go with Samsung. And here is the question that probably many asked before.

Evo or Pro. You said Pro as recommendation. I was thinking about few options like Pro+evo, Evo+evo but those will cost a little bit too much and a little bit of waste at this point especially as i have 2 external HDD drives(one bought like a year ago My Passport Ultra-wich is complete joke from what i see now and have like 60/40 results for read/write and those are way worse than the other one that is like 5 or more years old wich is S2 Portable 3 and will probably just get rid of it or use it for backups) And due to the amount of the movies/photos i wont be able to match all on those ssd drives.

I am closest to the option of buying Evo 850 500 GB as system disc wich is more or less at the same price as 250 GB 850 Pro, and use it for system, apps- current data and new movies to watch on the media server in other rooms. And then just use the other HDD i have now inside wich is that Western Digital and the S2 Portable as external wich have similar results to the WD at 100/100 about for the other storage/photos that are not used on regular basis. I understand the most important one and the one that is responsible for the perfomance is the system disc.

Is this EVO 850 500 GB fine over 850 Pro 256? I've seen many tests/benchmarks, on many i saw that this both discs are a completely match, on some Pro is slightly better, but the difference is very small. It has that 5 years more warranty but i doubt its an issue for me at all. Saw that this 500gb and 1tb are a same competitor to Pro, 256 have worse results

Thanks!

7. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @Papusan or anyone please:)? Just holding myself from confirming the order

Papusan likes this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Sorry. I still keep 850 Pro and Sandisk Extreme Pro as best choice for me, you and other persons. I would not select anything else for my AW17 - Clevo P870. I wouldn't buy another type ssd. I will always by ssd's with MLC nand!! I've always had good experiences with them.

Psiwentyl likes this.
  9. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Damn, thats not making this decision easier. From all i read i just dont think i can go wrong with that evo or that i would notice any difference betwwen this two and the price difference is quite significant. Theo only place that said pro with mlc is faster was anandtech. In most benchmarks comparisons both are so even. Way sooner than 5 years of gurantee i will probably get new machine anyway or can then in a year or two go with the pro and use evo as 2nd ssd instead of hdd that i will still have now.

Hard to pick now the other option than you recommend but i think i would just waste money on that difference :/

Papusan likes this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    FYI. MLC nand has not directly as much with the speed. It has more with reliability and <often can be used harder> aka a safer choice. SSD's in the premium segment also comes with better warranty.
    As said up to yoou my friend. I have already made my choice.

Info for you http://www.anandtech.com/show/9799/best-ssds Good Luck with whatever choice you do:)

Psiwentyl likes this.