Alienware become very laggy/slow in simple windows operations

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Psiwentyl, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @Papusan This numbers dont tell me much, besides the fact that i dont think the temps are too high, looks ok to me. I've made an appointment for tomorrow to the service.

I made major improvement to the overall perfomance as i wanted to give them clean laptop without any of my data in the history on C disc so i made clean format of that disc, the more advanced from the options. After i did that and reinstalled windows i've noticed significant improvement. More or less the overal perfomance of the laptop is like it should be. At least i think so, but..

I made few more 3d mark and pcmark/cinebench tests and although i cant verify the pcmark and cinebench results i am sure that 3dmark ones are way below average. I am sure i had higher results before and definately seeing few fp's on Fire Strike is not right for this setup

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/17423125

This are the results for 3dmark 11

3500 for Fire Strike, 14500 for Cloud Gate and onlu 80000 for Ice Storm

Pcmark 7 gave me results of 5050 score

Cinebench 11: CPU 6,84 pts Open GL 51,58 FPS
    Cinebench 15: CPU 642 cb Open GL 78.00 FPS

I am starting to think that i actually fixed the main issue of laptop running slow, but there is a bigger issues with my nvidia card that i basically havent used in the past as i dont play games on it, but it makes me think its not right and that it could e connected with other issues on the laptop

Any ideas about that?

I also found this topic, but not quite sure what is paste job and what are people talking about there. Might ask tomorrow when i go to the service, but maybe there is a chance we can diagnose it here?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17-very-low-3dmark-scores-on-780m.727867/

I have attached you guys, as i cant reply on that topic. Big thx in advance for help

@teslaenergy @Dusk Star @flingin @MickyD1234 @Red Line @Robbo99999

Papusan likes this.
  2. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With the exception of Ice Storm, all of your scores are on point for a GTX 770m

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-770M.88995.0.html

The Link you posted is people talking about the GTX 780m which will score higher.

A "paste job" is referring to changing the the thermal paste on the GPU and CPU dies that make contact with the heat sinks. This is something that should be done about once a year for optimum thermal performance. Most people here would tell you to think of it like an oil change on a car.

Psiwentyl and MickyD1234 like this.
  4. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thats the anwser i did not expect to see :) So you are basically saying that everything here is fine, and all i can do is to give it to the service for paste job and some professional fans/heatsink cleaning? You said it has to be done once in a year. My laptop is working nearly 24/h and i havent done it since i've purchased it about 3 years ago

As for the results, i remember having 1200 FPS in first tests in Ice Storm- Now its 400max, also overal result was 120000+. I have it saved but cant send password reminder to 3d website

Is this graphic card that bad that when i do the benchmark on that Time Spy its lagging from start to finish and gets the result better than only 2% of the tested machines? If its like that only with graphics, i will leave it as like i said i dont play any games at all, but due to multitasking i want machine to work as fast as possible.

5. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Yes, Time spy is very demanding. It is a DirectX 12 benchmark. The most modern GTX 1080 desktop card only gets about 50 FPS on it. It is mostly a benchmark for enthusiast desktop systems.

Yes, your computer likely needs a service with new paste and cleaned fans

Psiwentyl likes this.
  6. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thx a lot. Will update it i guess in 2 days when its done

Papusan likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Both the CPU and GPU is within the normal. And the temps are as well ok. You could try high performance profile in Windows power plan and put high performance in NCP. Otherwise everything looks ok. Tell us how it goes:)

Awhispersecho likes this.
  8. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    They did it on the same day. I've just recieved it and tested, but results are exactly the same, not even slight improvement. I even got cooling stand for the laptop with 3 additional fans that i use, but no improvements. I am sure i had 120000 score on Ice Storm before, now cant reach 80k.

But... You are saying that this results are normal for my laptop so i am not sure what can be done more. Maybe i am wrong as i thought its that strong that this results should be way higher. I will look for some more only perfomance benchmarks, that are not focused on graphics as i said i dont play games. Just was doing it as i thought it can be connected on all the aspects of the laptop perfomance.

How can i improve overall perfomance if i decide to? What can be done here to get the laptop work faster? Its ok now after that clear format. Would i have to add more Ram to this 24GB or get faster SSD disc? Maybe tweak processor?

9. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    You can disable some background Windows services that sometimes clog up systems.

SuperFetch and Windows Search come to mind.

Also see how many apps are enabled on startup; disable everything but the essentials.

If you don't mind spending some money, get rid of that spinning plate HDD and put in a SSD, can get 500 GB SSD for about $150

Psiwentyl, Papusan and Awhispersecho like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    And you have put high performance profile in Windows power plan(Not balanced or own created) and use high performance in NCP? Your cpu work as expecxted, but will probably work better in high performance plan in Windoze.

For test of your OS disk AS SSD Benchmark v1.9.5986.35387 - CrystalDiskMark v5.2.1 You can find benchmarks results for your OS ssd and compare on the web.

More tests for your processor wPRIME v1.5 (Run as adm - select 8 threads and run 1024M)
    http://www.putme.net/wPrime210.zip (select 8 threads and run 1024M)

And if you run Windoze X. Stop unwanted crap O&O ShutUp10 v1.4.1386.1 [Do not use Windows 10 without this, helps you get rid of all the Windows 10 shenanigans]

And Clean windoze X guide http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/nbr-windows-10-clean-installation-guide.781178/ Give a Big thanks to bro @Phoenix

DeeX and Psiwentyl like this.