Alienware become very laggy/slow in simple windows operations

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Psiwentyl, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I got Alienware 17, processor Intel Core i7-4700MQ @2.4 GHZ, 24 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce M770 16 GB i think. Disc C is SSD

Some time ago i noticed that my laptop started to run slow. Was getting laggy while having few windows open and basically did not act like it should for such a fast machine for simple work. I was also running Plex media server and recently every time i was trying to watch movie on my TV in the other room, it was buffering every few minutes wich never happened before. Even in Blu Ray movies. I figured out that it has to be the laptop issue too, since the movies were streamed from it.

So i thought i can reinstall windows. Clean one with full C: disc format. I did it but noticed no major improvement. When i go to random page, say facebook and i want to scroll posts, its not moving clearly, its laggy on such easy task.

I run Support Assist tool, all tests were passed, but i noticed even in the 1st test when there were some video things running on 1024x768 resolution and i had like 3-5 FPS, it was so laggy and i think those were minimum requirements.

I had all updates done. I have also now after i reinstalled windows. I kept everything clean, C: disc was erased anyway.

Any idea what could it be? What can i do/ What tests can i run. Clearly its not working properly and i cant work with everything being so slow

Thank You in advance

Papusan likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Long time since you cleaned up the internals like heatsink and fans? Have you monitored how high the Cpu-Gpu max temp go?

Psiwentyl likes this.
  3. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have never cleaned it to be honest. Today for the first time i checked hout to tear it down as i finally removed battery(Using it as stationary all the time and killed battery anyway by now)

I will read how to clean the fans and will definately do it, but from what i checked it doesnt look bad at all.

How can i check/monitor CPU-GPU max temp? Can you let me know how to do it and will post the results

Papusan likes this.
  4. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    its basically so slow, evey after restart and have few tabs open in chrome, that i want to just grab it and throw out of the window. It has to be something with SSD disc or Ram, although it says everything is fine. I will run 3dmark benchmarks now just to see how bad it is

5. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/17380761 - this are mu results. Its laggy sometimes even when i write this posts, unbelievable :(

2522 Score with Fire Strike 1.1

3955 Score with Cloud Gate 1.1

29822 with Ice Storm 1.2

all this results are complete joke, only better than 11% laptops. In many tests i had 3-5 FPS only

6. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  7. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i tear it down and cleaned both fans. Both were a little bit dirty, but it did not help at all.

I believe it has to be either SSD disc or RAM memory. Looking now for some apps to test ssd disc.

Any idea what could that be? I had a moment when i thought that it has to be SSD disc and that i can buy new one, but if i cant see any errors in any apps i dont see any sense of doing that.

But really dont want to send it to the service as they basically can exchange even working parts and that will cost a lot

Papusan likes this.
  8. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had similar problems with Windows updates before. Or could be a memory leak. Check in task manager if you have either near 100% disk or ram used even though you have no processes running.

Psiwentyl and Papusan like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Test one more time with CINEBENCH_R11.5 and CINEBENCH_R15 Run only the Cpu test.
    Monitor with Hwinfo or Hwmonitor as you did. Post the results with pict.

Have you cleaned the heatsink and not only cleaned the fans? Because the temp is all too high with low Cpu package power.
    Next step will be. Download latest bios and flash. Put default bios settings afterwards.

Put up HWiNFO64 v5.42 like the pict
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Psiwentyl likes this.
  10. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes. I mostly cleaned heatsink, it was dirty and i cleaned everything and i put air from hairdryer on both sides. Same with fans, although fans looked fine. I also removed and reconnected both hard drivers and RAM, the ones where the access is easy. I think there is slot for one ore two under the keyboard as well, but did not go that far just for that RAM slots.

During night i did RAM test using Memtest86. All looked fine and all tests were passed

[​IMG]imagen

So i've done Bios update, but i had the latest one wich is AW14 or sth so doubt it could help. Havent touched it afterwords so its on default.

I've done the tests you asked for and did both actually Open GL and CPU

11' CPU - 6.27 OpenGL - 15.18 FPS
    15' CPU 582 cb Open GL - 25,59 FPS

[​IMG]free screen capture

Its same still, all working way too slow, clear example. When i try to open File Explorer, it takes about 4 secs until folder pops out

Attached Files: