Alienware Aurora Desktop Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Alienware Desktops' started by Mr. Fox, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlderBint

OlderBint Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sometime over the next couple of days I'll post the specs on this 'ancient' AW {& yeah, its an Aurora ALX Desktop (built September 2009)}. If I understand the terminology then this is a legacy AW as its that old the R1 was still on a drawing board...

Also when I find some reasonable photos... am not that good using a digital camera so often my photo's are a tad naff.

2. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Bump.

New Alienware product, Alienware Aurora 2016.

Cass-Olé likes this.
  3. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @|Zero > tri-SLI 1080's for A-51 (= ... If you like to spend an extra $700 just to bench! You're due soon to be X-Fired 480's?, sweet, I need to sell my HD5000s, load up the whole house with 480s at that price. Here's an AlienClub R5 starter thread for anyone interested: Aurora R5 SkyLake Debut: Community Discussion ... I captured the SkyLake Cpu Prices as listed on Aliens.com. Click my link above if you'd like to see the math, rationale & basis for the estimated prices below:

K-option cpu gets a liqwid-kooler, accounts for $100 estimated
    example 6700k = 450 + 100 = 550 >< MicroCenter 6700k $290
    non-K cpu is air-kooled with an old-timey heatsink

[​IMG]
    new motherboard is decidedly not an MSI gaming Z170
    model IPSKL-SC (or 1PSKL) ... is it a Foxconn?
    [​IMG]
    certainly a Dellienware​
    From the two photos I see a weak Pentium4-type 4pin CPU power & a 6pin placed into what looks like GPU-aux 8pin power. Reduced cable-count for this 'gamer' board. Anyone think they know who makes it? Z170 chipset? Low-performance B150m?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  4. Zero989

Reputations:
    That has to be a mistake. They shouldn't be offering 3way sli.

Just like mentioning 490X.

5. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    It seems like you can configure the Aurora with up to 16 GB of HyperX Fury RAM.
    Too bad it has a big price markup.

6. Zero989

Reputations:
    I'm pretty much done with alienware. 2400mhz is a joke. Their stock 2133 overclock to 2400mhz. I bet it could go higher.

The prices aren't that good either.I see they plopped their 460w from the amplifier into the Aurora.

7. einsteinchen

einsteinchen Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey,
    can someone tell me the size of the fans the Aurora R4 has build in? I do not care for the one above the memory slots. I have an aurora myself, but am currently not at home to check this and would like to order matching fans.
    • Radiator: 120 mm
    • HDD cage: ? mm
    • PCIe: ? mm

8. einsteinchen

Reputations:
    I got an answer from @Cass-Olé

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  9. einsteinchen

Reputations:
    So, I have replaced the stock fans mentioned earlier with Noctua ones. However, there is still a really noisy fan in the system. After unplugging all fans while the system was running and stopping the GPU fan for a bit, I came to the conclusion that the power supply in my Aurora R4 is the source of noise.

Since I now plan to swap the PSU, can anyone recommend me a good one that fits the Aurora R4? I think I will go with something at least 80 PLUS Gold starting from 700W. Is it a lot of work to swap the PSU?

EDIT: I have looked up some PSUs and the Seasonic X-Series X-850 seems to me OK. I do not plan to run SLI in the Aurora. I also searcher for a new AIO liquid cooler and came up with the Corsair Hydro Series H80i v2. Are those good choices?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    So, now the retards have put the case LED controller on the motherboard?!?!?!?!?!?! What in the world is wrong with the idiots designing this throw-away filth? Customers deserve to know these things before they blow cash on a money pit that doesn't play nice with upgrades. Now they officially have nothing for sale that even remotely interests me. Can't be spending money on proprietary trash.

Cass-Olé and einsteinchen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.