Alienware Area51-M XMP Settings Locked Out Due to Different Mobos

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Always_Wipe, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was referring to the fact that Dell wouldn't allow @G46VW to configure faster RAM unless the 'K' processor was selected bro. Regardless of the processor, they should allow you to configure it with the faster RAM if that's what you want.

G46VW and Papusan like this.
  2. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can go on dells site and see it for yourself, if you try to add the faster memory the site will let you know you cant proceed without choosing one of the K processors which seems odd to me, why not just say you need to select something other then the base processor. It makes it sound like the memory wont work unless you have that processor.

Papusan and Fire Tiger like this.
  3. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I tend to think Dell is erring on the side of caution just in case of weak traces or IMC to the detriment of those buyers who want to buy and possibly tweak better memory. The "new and improved" Dell is all about continuing to cut costs (I'm looking at you AW 18 and your mosfets) and minimizing end user repairs and potential problems even if it means neutered performance.

Realistically, the vast majority of 51m owners are going to unbox, open up, load games and play not even realizing the true potential their systems have and be happy. That is Dell's goal.

Clevo is better, but even they need @Prema magic to really stretch their wings (I realize this even more last night as I'm trying to fine tune / sort out some Corsair 3600 sticks which are showing themselves to be duds) and they're regressing a bit even more so lately.

4. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    G46VW likes this.
  6. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I remember right it was the only Adata memory available in DDR4 with speeds above 2400mhz. Umar from Dell stated on Twitter that the memory that was capable of going above 2400mhz in the Area 51m was from Adata.

7. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I ordered standard 16gb sticks and I got 2666mhz Samsung model. I wonder what options I have to make it run at rating speed.
    I got my board late December , I can share you my mono revision if that helps.

last question though, what’s the performance increase of 2666mhz over 2400 MHz

8. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    16GB at 2666mhz , is it running at that speed?

9. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    sadly 2400 MHz,, but I’m sure this mono can ha dale extra 200mhz if not more

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  10. technyne

technyne Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Doesn't matter what options you choose, currently all motherboards are locked to 2400mhz. So unless someone has a picture of 2666mhz. I ordered a k CPU with 16gb 2666mhz but only have 2400mhz in cpuz

Fire Tiger likes this.