Alienware Area-51m Review by Ultra Male

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Apr 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Grab the generic Intel IRST UWD driver, it gave a sizeable boost in writes on HDD/SSD. Response time is great too!

Fire Tiger and CptXabaras like this.
  2. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    CPU temps of 75-84 degrees Celsius with the i9 9900K during gaming seems reasonable. I was getting crazy hot temps of 100 C and over on the new Alienware Area-51M system I received on Friday. No idea why it was getting so hot during a 20 minute gameplay session of Battlefield V set to ultra settings, and with ray tracing features enabled. I had the fans on “performance’ mode too. Sent it back to my reseller just yesterday, and hoping to receive a replacement unit by next week sometime.

It could have been that mine hardly any thermal paste on the chip, or just received a bad thermal paste job from the factory. All sorts of possibilities. I actually tried to open the thing up, to reapply the thermal paste myself, but couldn’t manage to even get to the damn heatsink. Shortly after I had sent the laptop back, I realised I had missed two screws on the rear of the system that I hadn’t removed, which was why I was struggling to remove the rear exhaust cover of the chassis. It should simply slide off with a quick tug.

If I happen to experience any CPU temperature issues with the new unit I receive, I may just play around a bit with the voltages, or change the stock thermal paste to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  3. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    That is it, really nice test! Contains everything what is important, I'm especially happy 3DMark11 score included too.

Vasudev and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Vasudev and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hmm, that RAID0 benchmark result looks low? This is what I get on a single 970 EVO Plus
    in my m15, stock settings:

[​IMG]

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    That is insane man! Compared to my previous results my above benchmark is a big improvement but that 970 EVO PLUS is killing it! superb 4K Read/Write speeds!

You aren't using any caching software like RAPID or whatnot right?

etern4l likes this.
  7. etern4l

Reputations:
    Like I said, standard settings. Now that you mentioned, I tried disabling write cache flushing - no difference to speak of.

My point is: are these RAID0 numbers what we would expect? Is the sequential single drive performance of the 960 Pro 2TB really just 1350 / 1200?

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  8. etern4l

Reputations:
    Yeah, so Samsung claims 3500 / 2100 for the 860 Pro, so unless there is a driver/hardware issue it would be safe to conclude that a single modern SSD maxes out the NVME interface and there is no point in putting 2 in RAID0 hoping to gain sequential performance.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Good score w/o any write cache involved.
    What's the drive health considering that the drive has taken 80TB of writes in its lifetime!

10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    the older one (almost 1.5 years old) is 99% and the 2nd 960 PRO which I bought 8 months later is @ 100%

hmscott, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.