Alienware Area 51m - Official Guide to applying Liquid Metal + RTX VRM cooling mod

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by DaMafiaGamer, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No offense, but using shipping tape is a big no-no especially cheap stuff which can barely stick to cardboard. Like the other person said, it will unstick easily at high temps, especially at low humidity. Kapton is much better.

2. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok guys I don’t think I’m using packing tape as it doesn’t loose it’s sticking properties at high temps I think it’s some sort of adhesive tape, in the uk it’s just known as sellotape a kind of thick plastic tape, packing tape (brown tape) is much MUCH thinner so I have advised against that, thank you very much for the suggestions :)

It seems that tape varies from country to country lol.
    It’s advised to use Kapton tape as everyone knows what that is.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    See, below. Many tapes works. But different quality all over make it difficult for people.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  4. NB_Neenja

NB_Neenja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think the purpose of the tape is catching any excess LM that squeezes out after the heatsink is tightened. If it's applied properly, there should only be a tiny bit of LM coming out. Sounds to me like this person applied the LM wayyyy too thickly if it went below the tape.

I do agree the most foolproof method is best for a general guide, but I don't see any issues with tape if you know what you're doing.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  5. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    This is 100% true. That is the point though. When an inexperienced person comes to a place like NBR and sees a guide, they may be on their first-ever attempt or maybe their second or third. When not very experienced with LM it's easy to apply too much LM that would not be considered "wayyyy" too much but still enough for it to leak when the system is jarred. Those type of people need to be told to use the best material to protect the components around the area that could potentially leak. I have not written a guide but if I did, I would want my guide to be very specific as to lessen the chances that my guidance aided in an inexperienced person's mistake.

That sellotape what we call packing tape here. We have the brown tape you refer but more commonly the clear sellotape you have in your photos we call packing tape.
    Its the same stuff I refer to that got loose around the edges when warmed. Also, a huge problem is that not Sellotape/packing tapes are made the same.
    Granted not all Kapton tape / electrical tape are made the same either but at least in those two cases, there are goals an objectives for the application when it comes to temperature etc.

@Mr. Fox or @Papusan Do you have a photo / guide of the foam dam he is referring to for a socket 1151?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2019
    DaMafiaGamer and Papusan like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  7. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I used a bit of regular scotch tape to insulate the gold contacts on my old 6700K, never once had any issues with it peeling off or losing adhesion and I ran that thing pretty hot. Kapton tape is better if you have it though.

electrosoft and Papusan like this.
  9. wunhand

wunhand Newbie

Reputations:
    Only thing I would add is that the video link to the disassembly - have to watch that one very closely - guy moves super fast with edits - you want to go much slower in actual practice in order to not damage something...

Also - when you remove the 14 + 1 screws to get the cover plate off covering access to CPU/GPU - there's actually another screw by the motherboard connector - a small screw with a small metal brace- don't do what the guy says in the video and just wiggle free - because he missed that screw. You'll end up damaging the unit. Once you remove that last screw you can gently remove the brace and then the whole cover plate will come off.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    So is that black heatsink what dell has added to try and keep the Gpu’s from frying? Oi. . .well looks like doing the thermal pad mod is essential to keeping this thing running long term.