Alienware Area 51m 4k 120hz display Upgrade!!

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by trikolpona, Apr 6, 2020.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Have you considered zooming out of your content to reduce scrolling? Readability will be about the same on such a tiny screen. 4K readability at 100% scaling is about right on my 43" monitor.

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    From the sound of his post the B173ZAN03.3 may use a 0.4mm pin pitch eDP connector. So the 0.5mm connector is electrically compatible but not physically. Given that we have no photos or explanation, that is my best guess. If this can be confirmed, then you would probably want to try purchasing the 4k 120hz cable from that aliexpress vendor, then splice it together with a spare 51m display cable.

Alternatively if you do not need 120hz you could try the B173ZAN01.0 (4k) or B173QTN01.4 (3k) panels which should not need a cable mod.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  3. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some of us aren't going to buy one of these machines until they deliver one with a 4K screen. Once you've gotten used to documents with small character fonts on a high dpi screen there really is no going back. And given the $$ already in these machines the minor cost increase for 4k is a drop in the bucket. People spend more to get the 9900 than to get a 4K screen and you could easily argue that the 9900 is less necessary. But that option, just like 4k, serves as a "if you want it we've got it as an option" for customers. Probably Dell will come around sooner or later. Or Razer which has been using the AUO 120Hz 4k on its 17.3 pro for months, got the exclusive with AUO.

4. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Owner of thread is holding out .. lol. Us tinkerers are waiting impatiently wanting to do this diy upgrade.

DaMafiaGamer and ErikO like this.
  5. ErikO

ErikO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Application doesn't allow it. Its a commissioning-based network tool.

Hi and thanks for your thoughts.

I do also want the 120 fps, as I sometimes game in my spare time.

I was a holdout, until a bad flash bricked my AW18. So I had to 'swallow' my 1080 hatred and purchase.

Oh, and Dell have just pinged me to let me know my years warranty is up.

So I reponded with details of the screen mod I intend to perform, and asked if I could get it in writing, that my screen mod won't invalidate my warranty.

Though I know what the likely answer is going to be for that...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2020
  6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Actually B173QTN01.4 does support 120hz. Its a TN panel so vertical viewing angles are less than on an IPS panel. Either way that panel would probably be a relatively easy swap. The Dell part number is JYWWF, same used on the Alienware 17 R5 and m17 R1. I do not know if it would support GSync, but it did originally on the 17 R5 so there may be a chance. I actually really like 2560x1440 in the 17 inch form factor display, it is easy to use at 100% scaling and handy to have as a programmer while I am mobile.

7. SUADE8880

SUADE8880 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    He had this posted on Reddit stating that he had to cut and splice all the wires within the cable to lengthen it as the display panel connector is in a different place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not of these panels would work as they are older generation design that are slightly thicker and wider in the outer dimension with upper and lower mounting brackets versus the latest generation that are thinner and are near borderless for smaller bezels on newer laptops like the Alienware Area-51m.

EDIT: Besides B173ZAN03.3 that OP made work due to the slimmer profile

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    trikolpona likes this.
  8. technyne

technyne Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was unaware of this website, but I've had my B173ZAN03.3 installed in my Dark side of the Moon Area 51m for about 5 months now and its amazing. Not sure what cable some where talking about, but my 40 pin eDP plugged right in and was even in the stock location of my 1080p 144hz. Make sure you don't have the1080p 60hz, THE SCREEN CABLE IS DIFFERENT! This is DEFIANTLY NOT easy or for jut anyone to do. What makes me mad is how easy from a company point this screen option was to change. Dell is just holding out on doing it for unknown reasons. the source i got my screen from has thousands. More then enough for Dell to put up a 4k option. If anyone has question one wanting to do this my PM is open.

EDIT: I can't figure out how to post pictures but just buy one and it will fit as long as its a real AU Optronics.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    SUADE8880 likes this.
  9. SUADE8880

SUADE8880 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Isn't the B173ZAN03.3 connector almost dead center in the back instead having it 2-3 inches towards to the right? The original cable was long enough to reach without modification? You have it full functioning 4k, 120hz, full brightness control, etc.? Thanks ahead for sharing.

[​IMG]

10. trikolpona

trikolpona Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sorry guys I'm not very regular here!

Also I am not very good with tutorials, but let me try. First you have to disassembly the display. the display bezel is strait forward, no screws just use any pry tools. after that there's two very strong double sided tape holding the display. there is pull tabs but have to be very very careful and slow when you pull it. use something strong so you can do it slowly and carefully. after you disassemble the display, remove the display cable and whole display assembly so you can work on the display cable. the difference between two display is that the new display have the connection in the middle and the old one is in the left corner. after you disassembly the cable you will realize that the cable is routed in a square way, you have to cut the tape that holding all the cables together. So that you can strait up the cable and reach the connection. have to be very careful so you don't rip any cable in the process. I heard there's cable you can buy, which you don't have to mod. But i couldn't find anything, and old cable worked fine for me so never needed it. Also when you tape the modded cable back together, you have to make sure that the cable is not too thick, otherwise the thick cable will put pressure from the back of the new display and you will get very bad light bleed.

sasman1964 and SUADE8880 like this.