Alienware Area 51 PSU to GPU: 2 cables?

Discussion in 'Alienware Desktops' started by verysame, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. verysame

verysame Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, I think I have to spend some time on the chars you posted! :)
    For now, just wanted to point out that the second GTX is a card I bought separately from the A51 R3.
    At this point, I wonder if to keep things simple I could simply ask Dell another cable.

2. verysame

Reputations:
    I know took pictures of the current, original Dell cable. Pins look like the one I have:

PSU, I'm going to use the only slots available for my 2nd GTX, R3 and R4
    20180106_182847.jpg

This is the part attached to the PSU
    20180106_182945.jpg

This is the ending part of the same cable from the pic above that goes into the GTX:
    20180106_182906.jpg

3. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok, explain this:

PSU black row is R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6
    I see a cable pair in R1 R2 / cable pair in R5 R6
    • what is plugged into R1 R2? Ti #1 ?
    • what is plugged into R5 R6? Ti #2 ?
    Are any of those Grfx cables I can see plugged in borrowed 'spares' from some other model PSU?

If R1 R2 are hooked to a Grfx card, if R5 R6 is hooked to a Grfx card - if u say R3 R4 are all that is left to plug into - does that mean you're going for triple Grfx? If not, wtf is stopping u from plugging R5 R6 into the 2nd Ti?

You literally bought x1 Ti from Dell and they literally only sent you x1 Grfx cable set? They gave no 2nd or 3rd set? Single card buyers should've gotten a 2nd set in the case, so yes, request your 2nd set or try to buy them

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  4. verysame

Reputations:
    R1, R2 are plugged to the GTX that comes with the A51.
    Yes, my order on Dell was with one card only, not two. When I ordered the computer there was no option for two GTX 1080ti. The only option with the two video cards was for two 1080, but not 1080ti.
    At the time I already had bought a GTX 1080ti, so I thought I could plug the extra GTX later.

The spare cable is from a Cooler Master V700.

Hard to tell what R5, R6 are powering, the cables run nested with other cables, some behind the motherboard. I guess the hard drive or the DVD...
    Anyway, R3 and R4 are available. I actually thought I should have more than that available as this Alienware potentially con mount 3 GTX. But that's another story: for some odd reason, I couldn't swap the PSU I have now (800w) with a more powerful 1500w, which explains why the only space left is R3, R4.

And to answer your last question, yes, the configuration I purchased was with one GTX and they didn't send extra cable set.
    So, I'll follow your advice and ask for other cables.

Thank you, Cass-Ole'.

5. Cass-Olé

Reputations:
    I don't think u understand, R5 R6 should be the extra Grfx cable set, dig them f'in things out

understand > The BLACK ROW are only for Grfx, therefore if you have an R5 R6 that is the 2nd video cable pair, my goodness

pop the side panel off on the hard drives side, and dig them out & use them

If R5 R6 are not in use it means they are free to be used

verysame likes this.
  6. verysame

Reputations:
    Oops! Not much sleep has some consequences... o_O
    I'll check that!

7. verysame

Reputations:
    Alright, I did mount the other GTX!
    I'm glad you did catch that.

After I logged in I updated the driver for the new adapter, win 10 needed a reboot after that, which I did, but something is not working, my two monitors are both black.

I have the two monitors still connected to the Alienware GTX.

Edit: I plugged one of the two monitors into the new video card and now one monitor is working.

8. verysame

Reputations:
    Finally, got it running and working!
    Something was throwing Windows off, in the device manager, there were issues related to the two adapters.
    After a couple of restarts, everything seems to work fine now.

Two things: my limited knowledge about hardware tells me that it doesn't matter which slot I use for a second video card. In this case, I didn't use the very next slot available in the stack. I think this is fine?
    20180106_220042.jpg

Second thing: I now have the two monitors plugged into the second GTX, both of them. Is there a proper setup I should follow (say, one monitor per video card) or it doesn't matter?

Thanks again for all your help Cass-ole', sorry for all the back and forth. I'm sleeping very little due to a tight deadline and I was trying to get this second video card running in order to finish a lot of renders!
    Thanks!

P.S.
    After the confusion, I felt like I behaved like an old grandma trying to read binary code :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Cass-Olé likes this.
  9. Cass-Olé

Reputations:
    You should start a new thread in the desktop lounge here or in the open forum, I'm not an nVidia owner nor do SLI dual-cards

GPU-Z should tell you if your cards are in x16 or x8 mode, the service manual or the specs manual has a graph that says which slots are x16, those are 1 & 4 (5 & 9 in the landmark pic), compare to yours and find micro-text on the actual motherboard denoting which slot is which
    [​IMG]

card #2 may have to move up a slot if I'm seeing things right

verysame likes this.
  10. verysame

Reputations:
    Class-Ole',

That makes sense.

I really appreciate all your help!!