Alienware Area 51-M vs Alienware M15

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Spartan, Mar 1, 2019.

?

Alienware Area51-M vs Alienware M15

1. Alienware Area 51-M

36 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Alienware M15

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am learning to. I like it, too. But, not as much as I hate Windows 10, LOL. I'm kind of forcing myself. Will be interesting to see how it runs on the Area 51m.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DannyB513 likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It might be different on the Alienware. As I have been poking around with Linux for more than a week now, I have seen some indication that MSI laptops are notorious for not playing nice with Linux. Dell has actually been an intermittent supporter of Linux. It's probably worth a shot. It didn't want to play nice with my desktop until I disabled UEFI and changed the CSM configuration to Legacy only. After having zero issues with Mint on my ZBook in Legacy mode, (installed in in dual boot with Windows 7 on my Windows 10 drive while traveling and had no problems - yes... Windows 10 is gone on the ZBook now,) I revisited things on my desktop with Legacy mode after I got home. I wiped the drives, reinstalled Windows 7, 10 and Linux, and now Linux is working a lot better on my desktop than it did in UEFI mode.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Vasudev, DannyB513 and Spartan like this.
  3. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a dual boot of MX Linux and Win 10 on my MSi GE73 Raider that I use now and never had a problem with Linux installation. I have run Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Manjaro on it as well.

The only problem I had is an NVIDIA driver issue. You have to do some work to get the graphics to play nice in most Linux distro's when you have a discreet GPU and integrated graphics.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, Optimus is sketchy. I have the Intel iGPU totally disabled in the BIOS on the HP ZBook and my desktop CPU does not have it.

DannyB513 likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Its better to use Secure boot if you're on 3rd gen i series and above on AMI/Insyde because UEFI BIOS actually has more features that allows better usage in Linux than in Windows. I saw greater boot speed, decreased disk corruption, more battery life on a 5-6 yr old afte switching to UEFI from Legacy w/o reinstalling Windows and Linux. You can use this script that tricks BIOS by making Linux look like Win 7/8/10 which may solve most ACPI based bugs. http://iam.tj/prototype/enhancements/Windows-acpi_osi.html

DannyB513 likes this.
  6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Optimus under Linux doesn't work as smoothly as it does under Windows. A logout is required to switch between integrated / dedicated, and on dedicated mode it can have some pretty crazy tearing on the integrated laptop display. Granted, on Windows, it seems like 50% of the time I have to relaunch apps to get them to "release" the nVidia GPU so it can idle, but it is still better than a complete logout.

On the Alienware 51m the Linux setup should be pretty simple. The only thing I would worry about is backlight control if Dell isn't using the standard _BCL, _BCM, _BQC ACPI methods for some reason. Oh, and obviously the EC isn't likely supported so anything in AWCC wouldn't be configurable under Linux if so.

Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Nvidia optimus on Linux controlled by Intel is buggy because updating nvidia GPU driver with GFX set to Intel will kill the xorg config and once you switch to nvidia it refuses to switch over thereby rendering your internal display almost black. So, I am using nvidia dGPU always even on battery.

DannyB513, steberg and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Lynx2017

Lynx2017 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I thought the whole point was for Ultra Male to get a laptop that is truly portable while still being able to game at a high level, but also maintaining the ability to have a smaller power brick instead fo two large ones? (his original post says he was like do I really want 2 huge power bricks?)....

That is the only reason I posted the Linus video... so make up your mind do you want a portable high end gaming laptop or one with a 9900k and lots of cooling and 2 huge power bricks....

9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    He ordered it and is waiting to ditch his MSI Book for AW Book if it works well otherwise its going back. Everyone is really confused about power bricks to use 1x or 2x? He'll update this thread once his unit shows up at his door-step!

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hasn't @ssj92 already figured out how it works (if it does or does not) with one large brick?

Papusan and ssj92 like this.