Alienware Area 51-M vs Alienware M15

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Spartan, Mar 1, 2019.

?

Alienware Area51-M vs Alienware M15

1. Alienware Area 51-M

36 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Alienware M15

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Well looks like you've gone back to Area-51M lol.

I think you'll like it. I'm going to play with mine all day tomorrow.

2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I am the most one awaiting your review man!

CSHawkeye81 and jclausius like this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Sorry I'm taking forever. Did worse on my practice midterm than expected so decided to wait a bit longer until I'm ready.

Everyone is surprised I haven't opened it yet LOL

jclausius and Spartan like this.
  4. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AFAIK, GSYNC doesn't work when the dGPU is wired through the iGPU without a mux. In this case, the dGPU is wholly separate from the iGPU. The 15r4 is exactly the same. GSYNC works fine with the internal display and over displayport but does not work over thunderbolt or USB-alternate because the iGPU is connected to that output.

I am on the newest Intel driver. This stutter is a normal occurrence when moving between displays driven by different GPUs and display scaling is enabled. It also occurs when moving windows between displays attached to the dGPU and AGA eGPU.

Vasudev and Spartan like this.
  5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    TB3 needs two root displayport connections to drive a 5k panel (or multiple 4k panels), so Dell uses the iGPU to provide the connections, as the nVidia card is already using 3 out of the 4 root ports available (1xeDP, 1xHDMI, 1xmDP).

Vasudev and Spartan like this.
  6. Lynx2017

Lynx2017 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I'm not sure what you mean by bigger screen? These new 2080 laptops have a 17.3" 144hz IPS screen in a frameless design that fits in a 15.6" form factor of previous generations, but you still get the full 17.3"

Zephyrus GX701G is the laptop you should buy imo, I trust Linus on this one.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Typical Linus. The Fastest Gaming Laptop We've Ever Tested!:confused: It seems he forget there is more than graphics card in notebooks. This model will give a huge decrease in Cpu performance vs. what he already have.
    upload_2019-3-4_21-40-13.png

Ashtrix, Terreos, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  8. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Area 51M is in another league compared to that. The 9900K will destroy any of Intel's BGA CPUs even when its being hindered by throttling/firmware.

9. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can't watch linus anymore. For one his titles alone piss me off. "The Fastest Gaming Laptop We've Ever Tested!" Then he does cringe open mouth thumbnail. Well what is this video about!? I laptop sure. . .but which one? If he's to lazy to put the name of the product in the title then I'm too lazy to watch his clickbait. With Bob of all Trades and Jarrod's Tech around we don't need clickbait reviewers like linus around.

@Ultra Male
    On top I see you already made the choice to go with the Area 51m. Honestly I think that is the right move. Besides the one bug I had with the power supplies not switching the laptop to full performance mode without changing the bios charging setting this laptop has been pretty solid for me. And I've been carrying it around the house alot. Moving it to my kitchen or living room and using it unplugged and such. Normal tasks this thing is silent. Sometimes I hear something start making noise and I put my ear up to the laptop thinking that's what is making the noise. It never is. lol. And I can't believe how nice the keyboard is. Having a real full size keyboard is awesome. I can't see myself even going back to chiclet keys. Even the fan noise is nice. Yeah it's still loud, but the pitch is so much lower and the speakers are plenty loud enough to drown it out. Plus compared to the m15 the area 51m can have g-sync. I know some people don't care for it, but if I had to choose between a high refresh rate or g-sync I'd take g-sync every time.

Here is some more neon green to burn your retina!:eek2:

Darkhan, Spartan and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The end result will be: The fastest laptop is much slower than last year models with superior cooling. +1 to BOB, OwnorDisown or jarrodtech.

steberg likes this.