Alienware Area 51-M vs Alienware M15

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Spartan, Mar 1, 2019.

?

Alienware Area51-M vs Alienware M15

1. Alienware Area 51-M

36 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Alienware M15

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Here is what happened, my Area-51m order was supposed to be delivered to HIDevolution from Dell on or before the 18th of March. I sold my laptop like 10 days ago and am suffering using my wife's old Dell Vostro 13 inch laptop.

Then the news about some laptops burning came into play so I was very worried. I sold my car to buy this laptop, I didn't win the lottery, I wanted to invest into something that would last me long and I love Alienware and their keyboards and this laptop was certainly Alienware moving into the right direction once again. I informed HIDevolution and Frank Azor about my concerns that I am not very comfortable buying this laptop and both of them had the exact same answer which was basically from Frank that they sell thousands of units and the small amount of cases that happened could happen to ANY machine and it such a small percentage of the sheer number of Area 51-ms that they sold. HIDevolution said the same thing obviously with lesser salves volumes but they assured me that they do rigorous testing before the laptop leaves their HQ and have had 0 complaints from people who bought them.

so I was like ok, this sounds a little bit comforting, then I got news from Dell that my laptop will be delayed for like another 10 days! It's like all the signs were leading me to not get this laptop and I believe in fate and circumstances and my patience ran out! so I called HIDevolution and asked them what laptops they had in-house like I don't wanna sit and wait for yet another order from Dell and they had the Nebula Red Alienware m15 with an RTX 1080 Max-Q which was my 2nd choice for a laptop to get after the Area-51m so Ted from HIDevolution helped me swap my order to the Alienware m15.

Starlight5, Terreos, Arrrrbol and 3 others like this.
  2. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I emailed Donald about my order that had already shipped and voiced my concerns. With his response I think he thought that temps were causing the problems, because he assured me about HID's cooling solutions. I replied back to him that I know they do excellent work and have full faith in it. I also explained to him that it is a NOT a temperature related issue due to most everyone saying that their temps were perfectly fine when their laptops burned out. Also informed him of the new BIOS Dell will be putting out next week. He told me is going to keep a close eye on the thread.

Since my laptop was already on the way I am going to roll with it knowing that if something does go wrong I am covered under warranty by both HID and Dell. I will be in the states on R&R not too long after getting the laptop which will make things easier if something does go wrong.

Spartan likes this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    The keyboard on the m15 is not the same as the Area-51m/previous models. It's a newer model with shorter throw distance (1.6 or 1.8mm vs 2.2mm). With that said it should still be a nice laptop.

I might be getting to play with one soon in a week or so. I'll share my thoughts if I do.

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The m15 is definitely a better laptop than the Area-51m. I am sure temperatures will be great with the thermal interface material tweaks. I am surprised that you didn't wait for an i9-8950hk although I am not sure how well those are performing so maybe the difference is too small to be worth the time and money.

My only beef with the m15 is that it doesn't have a mux to switch to dedicated graphics only - that feature was super handy with my Alienware 17R4 where it was just a simple reboot from switching from great battery life to max GPU performance, and having access to things like fast sync via the nVidia card. It is not as useful with the WT75 as idle power consumption is much higher with the desktop processor and chipset, but still handy to have. It is a shame that only Asus has this feature on their gaming laptops.

Oh, and I would swap out the Killer 1550 / Intel 9x60 wifi card, and either get a Killer 1535 or DW1560 (BCM94352Z). Both have a much more stable 5ghz connection in my experience.

Spartan, Flying Endeavor and Vasudev like this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah I finally went with the Area-51m and was super excited but then with the horror stories I am seeing lately and the 10 day delay from Dell, that excitement died and I didn't feel comfortable north of 9K USD on something that is a ticking time bomb so I went back to my next best contender which was a portable little beast with great battery life - the m15

I didn't wait for the 8950HK because @Papusan said something that made complete sense, if the laptop's cooling system is barely able to contain the temps with the 8750H, it would be even worse with the 8950HK. I mean think of it, on my previous MSI GT75 Titan 8RG which had the bottom panel mode from HIDevolution and Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads + MSI's superb Cooler Titan Boost cooling system, it was on the edge, temps would easily reach 90-93C under load let alone any stress test so I have 0 faith that the Alienware m15 would be able to handle that no matter what mods are done, the chassis is too small and Alienware's cooling system is inferior to MSI. As much as I would've liked the 8950HK, I had to be more logical about my choice and get what would give me less headaches and actually work at the advertised speeds.

As for the WLAN card, I agree with you and I do have a spare Killer 1535, I out of all people know that the Killer 1535 is a better card with way better range. See: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/killer-wireless-ac-1550-review.814190/

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    At least you have MSI GT75 as a fallback if m15 doesn't work as advertised. Yes, AW cooling is inferior to MSI and thermal paste is worse than Colgate.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  9. LoganWade

LoganWade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can't you do this in NVidia's software?

10. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Man and I thought what I went through to get the Area 51m was hell. Glad you're atleast getting something sooner than later.

Spartan likes this.