Alienware Area-51 Desktop Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Alienware Desktops' started by Mr. Fox, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    I don't know. All I know is that video, so we'll see.

It's up for configuration. Only for single GPU, though, and more expensive than a GTX 980 ti.

2. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    The Area 51 R2 will be refreshed with all of the consumer Broadwell-E CPUs on June 14th (source: Alienware's Facebook and Twitter).

Cass-Olé likes this.
  3. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

- Summertime Alien Watching's just begun -
    __________________​
    edit: now June 15th, I've captured Broadwell-E Cpu Prices on Area-51.com after they posted June 14th. Here are the estimates & rationale which form the basis:

6800k has an MSRP of $434. Area-51 has a base price of $1700, 6800k included in that price. It is estimated to account for $300 of that $1700 base price. From there, as we move up in the Price Tiers, we have the $300 cpu we've invested in + whatever 'add X amount' for the upgrade cpu option. Prices, estimated in US dollars, on June 15th
    • 6800k $300
    • 6850k $750 (add 450)
    • 6900k $1350 (add 1050)
    • 6950x drum roll please ... $2000 (add $1700)
    I'll edit this post later, trim the old pre-launch fat from it
    I'll be waiting for B-E | 1080FE liftoff with baited breath

[​IMG]
    Hotwell | Broadwell 140w tdp needs a 38mil kooler minimum
    50mm liqwid kooler shown? AGAIN? 3rd case fan shown? AGAIN? @|Game-se7en: you guys recycled this bogus photo to make it look like new customers get more than they paid for? nice touch.
    my compliments to the chef
    link to actual whimpy stock 25mm kooler
    Buy now Micro Center 6800k $400 6950x $1600 (woot!)
    Newegg 6800k $450 6950x $1750
    (out of stock: 6850k $650 6900k $1100)
    *see Newegg price match guarantee ... try a MicroCenter price match
    When Cpu prices land on Area-52.com June 14th, $400 will be our base retail price (Micro Center expects to make a tidy profit here on their every day $400 price - sure they do - it's even priced 34 under MSRP) & with it, we'll 'solve' the other three B-E cpu prices as Aliens demand of humans to 'add' X amount for 6850 | 6900 | 6950 (example: $400 + add X = true cost)
    • $1699 base price may change also - liftoff - higher $$$
    *I've estimated a lower $350 built-in 6800k Alien base cpu cost met with $50 rise in Tier 1 to $1750 total for the desktop, making for a '$400' 6800k cpu + add X = true cost, ok? lol
    stay tuned
    the same Solve for X will be done for 1080s when they launch - but for now? - 1080FE has a $699 MSRP > se7en hunge is already too much, right? right. below, find as I inject myself personally to have the price dropped from $819 to $699
    [​IMG]
    Launch Day
    24hours after my post (link) the price 'fell' to $800
    the reply above from Officialdom - sprinkled by typos - came later
    so did a price change
    $700 1080s for the masses
    never underestimate the Power of Persuasion​
    The $199 Wild Card
    AMD Radeon Rx 480
    Cross-Fire a pair of brand new Radeon 480s & you should have 1080 performance for less. This is important, because R9 370 (OEM, found in base A51 as the 'starter card') only costs about $170 or less (the stouter retail 370x is $179 MSRP --> OEM 370 should 'cost less'). Today (6.03.16), to add a 2nd 370, Aliens ask you to add a sky-high extra $300? For one? Life with Aliens (these go for $150 eBay, so, yeah). It's entirely possible the $200 480 will be the new starter card (its higher retail may help push the base price of A51 to 1750 / 1800 as I said). But what happens when you Cross Fire?

Add $300? more? (370 is already add $300, & it costs less than 480s $200 MSRP)

It will be difficult in the extreme to disguise the blatant cash-grab I predict we'll see soon on the 480 / 1080 / 1070 video-card selector menu. Summertime Alien Watching for cpu / gpu prices will be fun fun fun. The GM of this company can be paraphrased as thus: we're here when you can't build a system for yourself. Uh huh. They're here alright. When u don't have the time, the knowledge, or the brain in your head to know what things cost ...

480 will be a tricky card, since they can't price it too low, due to the fact a pair of them could harm 1080 sales: in a perfect world, pay for the base A51 then add $250 for your 480 (the 200 it's worth & $50 install fee) & get 1080 performance ... but to them? ... add a paltry 250 is a far cry from what, add 700 for 1080?
    • like a 6800k CPU, we'd use 480 to estimate the price of ALL cards
    example: if 480 = $150 (est.) of base price, then 'add 700' for 1080 makes it an 850 card
    • oh my
    480 will be a tricky card indeed. so we'll watch for 480 prices too

Sir, you've a fortnight to prove me wrong. Based on the estimated *$1300 cost of your 5960x ($900 all day long at Micro Center), I predict you'll ask, oh, *$2200 for 6950x ($1600 right now, everyday price at Micro Center). Be that as it may, as your customers fork over in excess of $2K to help pay for Mr Dell's $67billion merger & the under-valued 2013 leveraged buyout - on a day like today - in fact on this very day where $1300 5960x by my account represents +$600 profit on your end & yet simply isn't enough to help secure a decent kooler for it on the buyer's end, is it your intention to keep placing the dp/n K31VH budget kooler on top of the *$2200 cpu (or *$1400 6900k) as you did & still do with their *$1300 5960x? If in 18months, no one at the Mothership has called 1-800-Asetek for a 38mil alien-kooler - minimum - as was done for Aurora R4 on the lower 130w Ivy-E, please find that suggestion here. Ty
    [​IMG]

Remember Everything You Know​

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Cass-Olé

Reputations:
    @|Game > find my edited response here please: the relevant passage contained in your link to an AlienArena Forum pre-launch B-E announcement is thus: "And while we give our regards to Broadwell-E, you won’t need to give out any more Benjamins*. It’s the same price as Intel’s current HSW-e CPUs. Now that’s worth a standing ovation"
    Prices rose by $50, but not by $100, or a 'Benjamin'. I was highly skeptical, but the relevant passage above spoke the truth. We can never know the outcome of a world where I didn't pitch my tent & protest prices Game-se7en; what we know is that we exist in a world where the outcome has played out such that they semi-tamed their prices, having done so in a world where the force of my words stood in protest. I can't know if what I said here had an effect on management or prices or both, I can only hope so which is why I do it ...
    @becas play the eBay waiting game (& Craig's List), or a forum hardware marketplace like AlienOwners

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Cass-Olé likes this.
  6. becas

becas Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows of a place that offers just the case and cables (used) for this computer.

Thanks.

7. angel_ennix

angel_ennix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    got a fan question here guys.
    i plan on adding a corsair sp120 LED fan on my cpu rad and changing the 2 front fans with it.
    can i still control the fan speed via command center or do i really need to use a PWM fan to do it?
    Thank you very much.

8. becas

becas Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Cass-Olé,

I only just noticed that you had replied. Thanks. I will stay on the lookout then.

I see in this thread that you purchased an Area 51 R2 case a while back. Did you ever get to build it? If you did, what are the specs of it? Is this case limiting to the types of motherboards you can use?

Cass-Olé likes this.
  9. Cass-Olé

Reputations:
    * A51 R2: swap to a new motherboard, is it possible?
    * Motherboard Swapped A51 R2 Easy
    * Tutorial: Upgrade A51 R2 with E-ATX X99 Mainboard
    * Area 51 R2-Upgrades, Mods, Clarifications
    * Upgraded Area 51 R2 to X99A Raider Motherboard
    * 1080 SLI Hybrid 6850K Asus Sabertooth X99 Performance Build
    * The ALX Files: Operation Kalifornikation A51 R2 Kase Build, Surfin' with the Alien
    ________________​

I have six desktops, & this one was purchased at a time when I did not have the finances (then or now) to go all out. It was the very 1st empty R2 kase to land on eBay; many months prior I'd landed the 1st 1500w power supply for sale, so it was important for me to own this kase as part of my Alien Collection & from there publish the 1st build log using an empty case. The fact is, I had a brand new R1 X58 mthrbrd sitting in a box unused along with other parts, just enough to slap something together, which I did, & published. I loaded Win7 SP1, took photos, then never used the desktop. It's sat unused for months, but I think three months ago I finally let it get online for post-SP1 updates, cloned it, then free upgrade to W10. It's sat here since delivery day (& since W10) all but unused, which is fine since it's my 'new' barely used spare mthrbrd in it anyway.

There are others who've tried X99 mthrbrds (ATX & E-ATX), see their links. My post has a section on various extension cables to buy & what to try if the X99 2011-v3 mthrbrd tray hampers a Z170 skt 1151 install, concerning the Cpu backplate. X99 mthrbrd is the best bet. What of Alien Fx & changeable lights?

To Alien Arena Tech Support
    Q: But is there a possibility to replace it? If yes, will the LEDs on the sidepanels as well as both Temperature Sensorswork?
    A: Possible - yes >< Functionality - no

Recent message to me from W8Lifts: "I could get the front lights working only, the sides never worked". Most swappers find it too hard to say in public if the case lights work or not, most say it is iffy. Command Cnter 4.0 isn't compatible with my X58 Cpu/chipset, therefore I can not run CC nor change my lights, but, they do light up, stay lit, unlike W8Lifts who said his side panels never worked. 'Screwy Lights' in the aftermath of a mthrbrd swap may be intentional, by design. The Alien board is made by MSI so it would natural to want to try an MSI board in there, but Asus has been used also. I have no opinion on AlienFx lights or other features that may be lost or retained. Feel free to join AClub, & chime into any post u see with concerns. Ok?
    files that will not DL may mean a busy server; keep trying, always get your files from Dell/drivers page. As for side panels, u can chat or call Dell Sales for the current price; they were $275 each when I checked last year

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  10. becas

becas Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the detailed response.

I want to ask you some other questions. Are the side doors really that expensive still?

Also, I tried downloading some of the files/drivers on Dell's page but some just don't complete downloading. For example, the Command Center never finishes. Is there another source for that? Same for the NVidia file.

Thanks.