Alienware 18

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by DoubleHelixx, Dec 2, 2019.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    AW18 was indeed decent but crippled by firmware.

Design wise was a step back too.

Area-51m started great, they listened and added higher power limits and continued help improve the bios up to version 1.5.0 (1.00 > 1.10 > 1.20 > 1.3.0 > 1.3.2 > 1.5.0)

They even had a 190W vBIOS on 2080 (Higher than MSI/Clevo) and increased to 200W. Sadly newer ones come with 180W probably due to the mosfets burning on earlier units (Still can be flashed to 190W/200W).

Then suddenly with 1.6.2+ we were given gpu temp limit of 79C.

All they had to do was use 1.5.0 and add XMP + DDR4-2666MHZ+ support and it would have been nearly perfect.

I am afraid to see what the new AW head is gonna do with R2.

I am forever on 1.5.0 on mine.

vBIOS is separate from BIOS

Mr. Fox and DoubleHelixx like this.
  2. DoubleHelixx

DoubleHelixx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well here in New York City they tried to pass a law that would make it illegal to repair your own car. Can you believe that? And this is meant to be America...

Now when you go to the Dell communities, there is always a moderator saying "No, you cant do XYZ. XYZ is very dangerous, etc, etc..."

We need to keep pushing. Educating people and inspiring the human spirit to build and think...not just consume. Ironlically, these same people that say "no" are the same that complain of the landfills overflowing with their garbage...

Thank you for your time and guidance. I'm glad to see the strength in this community.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    OK, got it.

4. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    I should have asked earlier, but will I be able to upgrade the CPU from to i7 4800MQ to i7-4940MX? I know @Raidriar said this chip runs hot...

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, it should be a drop in part swap with no complications. If you already have it, it's too late. The 4930MX was a much better CPU. It overclocked a whole lot better and ran cooler. I don't know what happened with the 4940MX, but I have not seen even one example of a nicely binned one. Maybe Intel didn't care how it turned out because it was the last socket-mounted mobile CPU they made before going to BGA filth.

Papusan and DoubleHelixx like this.
  6. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    upload_2019-12-5_10-5-50.jpeg

DoubleHelixx likes this.
  7. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    It overclocked a whole lot better and ran cooler
    Any tips on how to keep it cool? That is all very bad. They want 100% control. We are forced into buying reverse engineered, lesser technologies before the proper technology that already exists is "released". Now even the freedom to upgrade to it is being taken away. Nikon "releases" its mirrorless camera with one card slot and forces us to wait to buy the new one just to get 2 card slots. As if they couldn't just sell the first one the correct way. Same deal with these cards.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Your best bet is liquid metal and polish the copper heat plate. The 4940MX usually took more voltage at a given clock speed than a 4930MX. But, if you already have it see how it works. The fact that I haven't seen a nicely binned example doesn't mean that there were not any. I just haven't seen one. Yours might be an exception.

Papusan and DoubleHelixx like this.
  9. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    Great! I'll do that and post the results in your new benchmark thread Part 3.

Mr. Fox likes this.