Alienware 18 with 980M SLI by HIDevolution

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by GTO_PAO11, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I've found Hidevolution to be really good in my experience with them. Excellent in fact. The only negative thing I can say is they forgot/miscounted 1 or the 8 screws I needed for my 980m SLI install. Other than that Ted has been very good.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Scanner

Scanner Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I must amend my last post, unless you are dealing directly with Ted you are in for a wild ride. My bad experience is not from buying something, that went lightenly smoothly, it was the circus of getting faulty equipment replaced.

3. GACollegeStudent

GACollegeStudent Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So what is the cost of buying the new Alienware 18 and putting new 980m sli in yourself?

reborn2003 and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    WAY Too much. Why? Because it doesn't work right. Don't do it... HUGE mistake. The Alienware 18 is a beauty, but it has issues and Maxwell compatibility is the biggest one it has.

If you want 980M SLI, Clevo is the only decent option. The MSI Titan jokebook has a BGA turd CPU.

5. GACollegeStudent

GACollegeStudent Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok. I just saw that Hidevolution had a few brand new ones left with 880M SLI. That would probably be a very nice laptop and they are discontinued. Thought I might lock one up.

But if you are saying that they are absolutely horrible with 980M I guess I'll pass.

I just thought I heard people in here getting SLI to work with 980M and Alienware 18. I thought you could mod it or something.

6. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    SLI works but there is random throttling when you OC.. That won't be a problem in the AW18 due to the 330W power limit... Fans are controlled by Hwinfo64 to work is the major problem with AW18...

7. voyance

voyance Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To be clear, is this possible with an AW18 "R1" (my GPUs are dual 765Ms)? I honestly, don't understand much of the stuff talked about here. I chose to buy this "stripper" system because I knew the 980s would be out soon and I had a bad feeling that AW will axe off the 18 because of the next/current lineup being 13/15/17. Is the issue only relevant to OC'ers or is it evident for everyone? Are the fans the only issue? In that other thread where there's a step by step install of dual 980s, the only issue is with the fans right? How badly does the system heat up if "underfanned"?

If it doesn't work, that sucks and I should've bought a dual 880M system.

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The M18xR1 cannot use Maxwell GPUs. The machine will fail to POST with 8 beeps because of a BIOS compatibility problem. UEFI is required and the BIOS is Legacy only.

The M18xR2 and Alienware 18 (there is no AW18 R1 because Alienware has basically retired the platform and it appears there will be no 18 R2) are able to use Maxwell GPUs with major complications. The complications are fewer with the M18xR2 than the Alienware 18. With the Alienware 18 you cannot flash the vBIOS and you have no flexibility in configuration at all because it does not have an unlocked system BIOS. Both machines have problems with throttling, and the more performance you attempt to extract from the machine through overclocking the worse the throttling problem is. Both machines require pure UEFI mode with Windows 8 to use 980M SLI. There is a problem with the BIOS were Legacy/VGA mode is not bootable with Maxwell GPUs for some strange reason, so pure UEFI allows the GPUs to boot using GOP.

In the M18xR2 you can run Legacy mode Windows 7 with one GPU and the BIOS set on SG mode (unlocked BIOS) which activates Optimus. This works because using Optimus allows the system to boot using Intel HD Graphics instead of trying to boot from the discrete GPU. Doing this is kind of a waste of the M18xR2 since it is designed to be a dual GPU system. May as well have an M17xR4 or an Alienware 17 if you are going to go the single GPU/Optimus route. You cannot use the Alienware 18 this way because an unlocked BIOS option is not available and there is no access to the menu necessary to change it to SG mode. Plus, the M18xR2 equipped with 780M SLI still outperforms a single 980M.

9. @tomX

@tomX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there any work being done to unlock the Viking's System Bios ? is it even possible (UEFI / legacy) ? Slv7 is pretty good at this isn't he?

As for overclocking, either with the Viking and the M18x R2, what happens if you don't OC? does that reduce throttling?

10. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.