Alienware 18 sound drivers

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mobius 1, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
  2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'll try that, I have the service manual loaded on another screen.

Maybe I should call dell to see if they can provide me the parts instead? I know they're going to charge me an arm and leg but still...

3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @Mobius 1

Dell removed Dolby from the newer drivers, thanks to the Dell clowns team of drivers.

Here is the latest one at the time where I integrated Dolby from an older driver into the newer driver:

Realtek ALC3661 Audio Codec Driver v6.0.1.7260 (A01)

Ashtrix and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm using Mr.Fox's previous driver, it sounds closer to my desktop compared to the most recent one on Dell's website.

I'll try this driver later, I don't have access to my FLAC files right now.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Using Phoenix's driver,
    The new Dolby is good tad more improved over the previous INF way A.k.a using the same Mr. Fox's driver 044 / one from dell + R2.79 from Realtek.
    Using stock 044 vs this one I have to test but this Dolby UI seems updated the old one was Home theater v4 this new one says Dolby Digital Plus Home Theater.

EDIT :
    The Driver I had from Dell is - Audio_Realtek-ALC3661 (3.66) _W74W84_X11-A00_Setup-044GN_ZPE
    From RealTek site - Realtek R2.79 ALC 3661 Win7, 8.1.1, 10 which I had to use the INF from.
    Mr Fox's driver also says 044 but the difference is X08 Mr Fox's one the Dell one is X11, I didn't test the latest which is updated on Oct 2015 though.
    The Phoenix's driver is 3.96, sounds better than everything except that I didn't test Mr. Fox's one.

Previously had to disable the Dolby HTv4 when I use F2k because I have Dolby dll wrapper with my F2k installation and they don't seem to bode well together but the new 3.96 with Dolby Digital Plus HT goes along with the dolby dll of F2k, adds some true clarity, openness, extension and overall emphasis, TL;DR : Boom !

Dell clowns are real ! True gimpsters, Dumpster crowd.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Ultra Male likes this.
  6. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    No modification needed. Not specific to AW 18. Other Dell laptop models has the same hardware and was updated. I don't know why Dell/Alienware don't associated this updated driver for the AW 18. I installed it with no issue and the sound quality is really excellent.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=40Y3T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.