Alienware 18 Discrete GPUs (both of GPUs) Not Detected in Bios

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by devilhunter, Apr 24, 2020.

1. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Greetings,

My Alienware 18 suddenly not displaying both graphic cards in bios. I disassembled the unit and found both cards warm (meaning they work) but they are not detected in windows and in bios. I tried a new bios flash and that didnt help.

Any suggestions?

If I need to buy a new motherboard, whats the motherboard model ? thanks guys

2. imest

imest Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds like you need a new motherboard. Good luck imo... I tried buying a new motherboard off ebay and got 3 duds in a row. You need DELL Alienware M18x R3 Intel Motherboard LA-9332P 4703X CN-04703X
    Please let us know your results and what seller you buy from.

-imest

3. devilhunter

Reputations:
    Thanks, I think I might get one.

4. Charger67RT

Charger67RT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I understand that your laptop is working with intel graphics.May be you must try to boot in OS and try to switch to discrete graphic cards Fn+F5?

devilhunter likes this.
  5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    In IGPU/IGFX mode the system will power off both mxm slots so the cards will not be detected if using intel graphics. Use graphics switch to go back to PEG mode to use dGPU

ll_r1d0_ll likes this.
  6. devilhunter

Reputations:
    that didn’t work for me, it shows no response

7. devilhunter

Reputations:
    I load default bios settings in case something went wrong. At this point do you recommend a fresh windows install or trying to boot Linux off usb ?

8. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    You have to install the Alienware OSD to make the function keys for GPU switching to work.

9. ll_r1d0_ll

ll_r1d0_ll Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just bought and AW 18 real cheap ! and i was cleaning the whole mess it had inside and removed the GPU as well to repaste it later and switched to IGPU for a while. Later when i installed the GPU it didnt showed in BIOS or WINDOWS .It was still working on INTEL GRAPHICS. I even did the bios reset from the bios settings but that didnt helped. Later i removed the CMOS cell and SHORTED the + and - Pins where the CELL sits for 4-5 seconds and then powered on my laptop and it gave 5 beeps .. I waited for like 5-10 seconds and then forcefully shut down my laptop and the power it up and then my laptop powered up with the NVIDIA GFX automatically

10. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 18 and M18x don't natively use SG (Optimus) so it's either iGFX or PEG and you swap between the two by using a Function key (maybe F5 on the 18...). When you remove the dedicated card it will automatically switch to iGFX and when you plug the card back in it will still be set to iGFX. The BIOS default would be PEG so when you reset the CMOS it went back to default, allowing the Nvidia card to be used. I would imagine that if you used the Function key and restarted it would have had the same effect.

ll_r1d0_ll likes this.