Alienware 18 BIOS A12 Findings & Fixes

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Ultra Male, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [Nikos]

[Nikos] Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A12 (the one recently released by Dell?) is compatible with R2 ?

2. Tulius

Tulius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not that one, is the latest sBIOS released by DELL for M18X-R2 in 09 Oct 2013
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-m18x-r2/drivers/advanced

Updated: Please do not update the M18X-R2 to A12 BIOS over the A10 unlocked, you'll miss the unlocked cpu option and get 8 beep error if flash back to A10 unlocked because you must flash in legacy mode and in the process it returns to PEG mode again resulting in the 8 beep error nightmare.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  3. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you flashing the the primary and secondary vbios's to you cards?....don't. Only flash the vbios labeled 1 to both cards, make a copy of number 1 and rename it to 2 if you need. I just flashed both vbios's and my secondary fan stopped working as well. The moment I rebooted after flashing the primary Premas 1.1.1 dell vbios to both cards the secondary fan went crazy... by the time hwinfo loaded it was back at 50C :D

4. Tulius

Reputations:
    Rebooting notebook after flashing secondary gpu with 980MPMA1.rom BIOS and desinstalled HWinfo do not change the second gpu fan problem...
    my note shutdown again after reaching 94C in game and fans not spinning. kenny27 if you try some benchmark program and monitor the temps with MSI Afterburner and HWinfo desinstalled, what are your results? Are you using A10 or A12 sBIOS?

5. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    msi afterburner and Hwinfo running, one loop of firestrike.... I got to 72C. I'm using A10 Unlocked vbios and Premea 1.1.1 dell vbios, and J95 350.12 drivers
    I was really hoping I had found you problem :(

6. Tulius

Reputations:
    Yeah but how did your fans work with HWinfo disable or desinstalled? I was hoping there isn't a need for HWinfo anymore when the gpus are flashed with this new firmware mod.

7. Juang1985

Juang1985 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Kenny

I use drivers 353.00 modded by @j95 and they seem to work best on my system. you should give it a shot see how they perform in yours.

8. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Guys, this thread is about AW 18 NOT M18xR2. The new A12 BIOS is only for AW 18!!!
    You apparently all have an R2 and should maybe take the discussion over to the other thread. ;)

9. Tulius

Reputations:
    I understand, so that's why the second fan in M18X-R2 still not working with this vBIOS... Prema, is there something planned to be released for M18X-R2?

10. Scanner

Scanner Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've reinstalled HWINFO64. I noticed my 2nd GPU temp was running to hot 84c. It's never gotten that hot. The primary is running at 74c, normal. With HWINFO64 I can run Witcher 3 for 4-5hrs and both GPU cards run at 74-75c. With this new vbios the 2nd GPU temp gets real hot within 45 minutes of playing game. I'm going to remove it and go back to the vbios I was using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.