Alienware 18 Bad vBios Flash

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by TheCodeBreaker, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Turn on UEFI, if on windows 7, then you need legacy rom enabled which will keep the splash screen.

TheCodeBreaker and M18x-oldie like this.
  2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Any attempt to remove this will brick your card. Svl7 put this in as a fail safe when people were stealing his work and selling it as their own. Notice he has quit this kind of work, Prema has gone private, etc

3. TheCodeBreaker

TheCodeBreaker 7H3 1337

Reputations:
    Thank you for the info. I had UEFI enabled previously, and you are right it does remove that splash screen. I was just hoping to keep the legacy bios enabled with all the messing around I do lol

That explains a lot lol. Klem modded the svl7 vbios, and told me to test it out. Explains why the cards got bricked lol

We all know the original author of the vbios, and thank him greatly. its just a couple of seconds on boot, nothing too bad.

It's only sad to see what Alienware has become over the past few years. They had such great systems once upon a time and with every iteration, they seem to get worse and worse. Personally I'm not quite sure what to get as my next system, as this AW18 is getting dated, and even 980M's are 340USD each. Area 51m looks tempting though lol

M18x-oldie likes this.
  4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox has quit the notebook scene, @ssj92 has the A51M, my Alienware 18 blew 3 motherboards and I’m using my M18x R2 so long as it is usable. I don’t think I will be returning to the Alienware brand, look at the ports in the M18x R2 vs what is available on the A51M and it’s just a bad joke at this point.

Mr. Fox and M18x-oldie like this.
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Yup I'm left with the M18xR2 until it dies and I'll be keeping my Area-51m until it dies as well. Probably done with AW at this point as well.

My sister has AW13 R3, GF has M14xR2 so I do keep tabs on those sections as well although I mainly support M18x & Area-51m series here.

I owned AW18 and it was a joke compared to M18xR2, AW took the wrong direction with that design.

M18x-oldie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.