alienware 18 and 7970m

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by pinoy_92, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinoy_92

pinoy_92 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    would a 7970m work on an alienware 18?

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, no reason it won't work. It's basically the same GPU as R9 M290X. The newer GPU has a fancy name to make people think it's something better than what it actually is. You might have to mod an INF to get the drivers to install.

3. dandan112988

dandan112988 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bench marks show 30 percent faster no?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

4. Alienware-Wasserman

Alienware-Wasserman Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hello pinoy_92,
    As Mr.Fox stated I've seen AW18's that are able to run with that video card.
    Other options that you might want to consider (That have been tested by Alienware) are as follows:
    -Nvidia GTX 765M
    -Nvidia GTX 770M
    -Nvidia GTX 780M
    -Nvidia GTZ 860
    -AMD RadeonM 285X

reborn2003, Mr. Fox and Trickster29 like this.
  5. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    If they do they are grossly inflated or highly misleading. r9 m290x is just a hopped up 7970m.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The R9 M290X is a two year old Pitcairn chip with another new name. This is the third generation of the same part, as 8970M was a rebranded 7970M. Both newer GPUs perform essentially the same as the 7970M. Both have the same basic specs, and stock performance is very close to the same as a stock GTX 680M. Thus, the R9 M290X offers two year old performance results as well. While they do an amazing job with GPUGPU computational tasks, they cannot even come close to matching the gaming and overclocked benchmark performance of properly tuned 680M, 780M or 880M cards with a modded vBIOS.

I don't really like using Notebookcheck, but a lot of folks do. They are a phenomenal resource for looking at hardware specs. Their benchmark results reflect stock performance, which can often bear no resemblance to performance potential of GPUs after proper tuning. This varies from minimal ability to improve performance over stock (GCN) to massive improvements with overclocking and performance tuning (Kepler). Thus, Notebookcheck's published performance results are only reliable if you plan to run your GPUs completely bone stock. If you're an overclocking enthusiast you have to see what (if anything) the GPUs are capable of to know whether or not the product is worth buying, so taking a wait and see approach is the smartest way to decide what to buy... never do it "on faith" unless you are OK with being disappointed.

There could be something with the R9 M290X vBIOS that brings something new and exciting to the table that we are not expecting. If history holds true you can expect the same performance AMD was offering to its fans back in 2012.

Comparison of Laptop Graphics Cards - NotebookCheck.net Tech

AMD Radeon R9 M290X - NotebookCheck.net Tech

AMD Radeon HD 8970M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

AMD Radeon HD 7970M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

UltraGSM likes this.
  7. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There's no way to put this delicately. As Mr. Fox and TBoneSan have already hinted at, the 7970M is a very flawed piece of hardware. I've had several fail, and so has Mr. Fox. It would be a disgrace to put one in your AW18. I noticed that you have one in your M17x though, so if you're planning on doing a swap with the one you already own, yes, that makes sense. If you're talking about buying one fresh, I would urge you to think about spending a bit more on a 680M.

Mr. Fox and UltraGSM like this.
  8. pinoy_92

Reputations:
    I'm thinking of buying a barebones Alienware 18 and putting my 7970m, along with other parts I could put in it. If I did my math right, it would be cheaper than buying a new laptop, but with a lot more headaches.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

reborn2003, UltraGSM and TBoneSan like this.
  9. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nah man. Barebones laptops are only ever really missing things you can buy readily on the NBR Marketplace, Newegg, or eBay. Therefore, the headache thing is up for debate. As long as it is functioning properly, your current laptop is still relevant. And while it won't run everything at maximum resolution and graphical settings, it should still provide a great gaming experience.

The best bang for your buck is an M18x. The reason for this is that they're both a bit older and therefore easier to get for a great price. They both accept the newest graphics cards. The 18 is still too new and will be overpriced as a result.

If I can ask, what are you trying to achieve? If it is anything other than absolute performance, I'll tell you that 98% of the population has no idea what the hell you're running. They see the alien head and immediately think the laptop is worth $5K, regardless of whether you've got an Area 51 M17 or an 18.

Mr. Fox and TBoneSan like this.
  10. pinoy_92

Reputations:
    Right now I am trying to do my research. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of building a desktop vs the aforementioned laptop. As many of the replies here has stated, I'm confident that most of the components I plan to transfer over to a barebones laptop would work; therefore, cutting the cost. If I'm building a desktop, the only component i currently have that would work is my SSD. In essence, what I really want is a better CPU. My current CPU is still decent, but it is showing its age. My CPU can't keep up with some 64 player maps in Battlefield 4 and some areas in Final Fantasy 14. In Simcity, the higher my population the lower my framerate gets. With some of the games coming out this year, I'm worried that my CPU wont be able to keep up. I know my rationale is childish, but isn't that the point of getting an alienware machine, to be able to play the most demanding game with no hiccups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.