[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

307 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. legend4life

legend4life Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, anyone familiar with 2019 M15R2 9750H/RTX 2060 overheating and if the heatsinks tend to poorly misaligned from the factory?

Hitting 101C on full CPU load at 4.0ghz. Cores 0, 2, 4 overheating, Cores 1, 3, 5 upto 15C lower. Also have a severe intermittent stutter where the system freezes for a moment then returns.

Dell is sending a tech to replace heatsink/fans, got thicker Coolermaster Maker paste, any tips on the heatsink alignment job and repasting to look out for, or improvements to do during the job?

What kind and size/thickness pads/shims are needed to ensure optimal cooling and fit on this model, or how could I figure that out? Would the Dell tech likely be familiar with doing this properly, or if it's not done right, Dell be willing to send another one to re-do it if the overheating isn't fixed?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. Rassal

Rassal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok... been almost 4 years now with my R4, and i am starting to see idle temps of 60-65... which tells me that the paste is dry, dry... dry.... So i am about to re-paste and replace the pads. I got Arctic Silver 5, MX4, Kryonaut... i think the MX4 (mx4 is IC diamond) has the better heat transfer properties, but for a Laptop, and for one i do not really game anymore, just work with the laptop, which one would last longer and would benefit me more you think? My R4 was never re-pasted, just had the motherboard/heatsink replaced during warranty like 2 years ago for heat problems, it was good until a few months ago, when i saw the idle temps going higher and higher from week to week, so i would imagine that there is dust accumulated on the fins and dried paste...

3. Fajo

Fajo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not to be that ahole, but making sure you have tried blowing out the fans with a can of air ? Hehehe can't tell you the amount of times I have done that to PCs to fix the over heating.

On the note of the stock paste, I have one R4 with a 1070 that still has stock paste after 4 years and is still at the same temps under load as it was when we got it. (Lower to upper 80s) this unit is used on the daily for the kids to play whatever game they are into at the time.

Then I have my 1080 version that I have repasted a few years ago with Kryo and it's held up well, it sits in the upper 70's to low 80's depending

Anyways, hope ya get it figured out. The stock paste does suck arse but it seems to have held up for the most part on our unit.

MogRules likes this.
  4. Rassal

Rassal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks to all contributors in this thread. Made my life easier. Now the re-pasted 17R4 hits it hard. Lowered my temps at least 10C globally and stopped thermal throttling that was killing me.

I did it with all new fujipoly thermal pads as suggested and then topped it off with MX-4 paste. Works a charm, hotter it gets now under full load is 89C with a core difference of about 6C max... no more stuttering and throttling.

Thanks!

iunlock and MogRules like this.
  5. SquatchTech

SquatchTech Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello from Northern Arizona. New 17R4 owner here. Just picked up a like new R4 with a GTX1070 for $700. It's replacing an old ASUS ROG 17 GTX660.
    I've updated the SSD drive to a 970 Evo Plus and thinking about the HyperX 2666CL15 upgrade from the stock 2400CL17 installed.
    Also looking up the repaste info. My CPU is hitting high 80's and GPU low 70's under stress. Still not sure on the the Paste to use. I've been using AS5 for some 10-12 years now but looks like Kryonaut or MX-4 is newer and more popular. I'm a do it once, do it right! kinda guy so not rushing in without a calculated decision.
    Love this Laptop! Huge upgrade over the Asus ROG.

6. Huiskesmartijn

Huiskesmartijn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Ok so after 2 years I was really done with the high temps, and found a local pc store that could remove the two stripped screws. I repasted with thermal grizzly kryonaut, and the results are amazing. My laptop used to shut down during gaming due to it going above 100°C every time, even on very low settings.

Now under heavy gaming, the CPU temps don't go above 85°C and 60 °C for the GPU. Idle temps are around 40° for both. Thanks for the guide! The only thing I didn't do is remove the antenna cables on the wifi card as it wasn't necessary to do the repaste.

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Does this guide apply to the 2015 AW 15 R2 too?

8. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I don't think AW 15 R2 come with TRIPOD :vbbiggrin:

Vasudev likes this.