[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

307 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Never heard of it until I googled, but as long as you aren't playing with anything conductive, I would think it would be ok. The problem would mostly be that the plasticine is like a clay and not a paste though, so its probably way thicker and won't make a good comparison to thermal paste, which heats up and spreads out getting thinner. If you want to know the thermal pad sizes I know for sure they are available somewhere that professionals on this forum have measured and tested them to be the proper sizes.

2. Spctoma

Spctoma Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Guys,
    I wanted to share my experience here after doing 2 repastes on my 17R4 1440p GTX1080 7820-HK :
    Before repaste I still had stock pads/paste for 2,5 years, I reached 91° on GPU and 100°C on CPU all the time (no OC).
    After repaste #1 (with MX-4, not following this guide, only a YT video my mistake :/) : GPU at 91° and CPU at 70°. Went back to 100°C after 3 days...
    After repaste #2 (with kryonaut and good thermal pads thickness) : GPU OC (+100mHZ/+300mHZ) at 70° at full load, but CPU still reaching high temps (not thermal throttling but between 91 and 97°C after 2 hours of intensive gaming).
    Looks like lottery for GPU, but big fail on CPU again ...

7500 graphic Score in TimeSpy + CPU/GPU temps curves : https://imgur.com/Nt34dZi

Here's some pics :

I had a damaged screw, so I had to buy a Dremel 4000 to cut it to put it off with flat screwdriver : [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BTW I swhitched all my HS screw with the one from the MB, they are exactly the same. And you don't have to take off the MB, there are 6 or 7 screws with easy access at the the bottom.

Here some pics of the thermal paste applied the 2nd time (Kryonaut) : https://imgur.com/RkJLdfx
    My Heatsink and new pads after using sandpaper #1000 and polish brush of my new Dremel 4000 : https://imgur.com/AGD7GLo

Pad thickness I had to use (3 modifications from iunlock's 1st post I had to make otherwise there wouldn't be any contact) :
    https://imgur.com/x2wyBXk

Here's my PCH mod : https://imgur.com/vhwlSh1
    I bought copper heat sink on Amz for raspberry PI, it was perfect fit !! 12 mm x 13 mm x 5 mm
    It did the job really well with some MX-4 paste, electrical scotch (3M Super 33+) and some sillicon glue (Chineese 705)

Can you check my CPU temps while idle : https://imgur.com/xFjD5ks
    There are many little "bumps" in the temp, from example going instantly from 47 to 65°C even if there is no load. Where does it come from ?

So what are my options now ?
    - Switching to ICD ?
    - Using thinier pads on the CPU this time ?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    c69k likes this.
  3. Spctoma

Spctoma Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your answer. Since I had troubles with one screw (see above) I didn't have time to play with plasticine this time ... Maybe next time ! Cause i'll have to repaste soon I guess since CPU is still at 97°C while gaming ... (although GPU went from 91 to 80s).
    For CPU and GPU die, maybe thick paper would do te trick to see the imprint and check if there is good contact ?

But I'm really scared of doing dry runs because of the bad quality heatsink screws ... Or are my screwdrivers bad quality ? What screwdriver do you guys use to avoid damaging the heatsink screws and beeing able to do so many tries and dry runs ???

Thanks again

4. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Dell use cheapo soft low quality screws in all their notebooks. Find proper stainless steel pan head screws here https://www.laptopscrews.com/

illuMinniti and jc_denton like this.
  5. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    It's definitely the screws. The more times you repaste, it greatly increases the chances of those screws being stripped. Even the screws that hold the laptop covers on are very easily stripped. Not only that but they use loctite on them so that doesn't help either. Honestly on this 15R3 and 17R4 the HSF worked pretty well, on the newer m15/m17 the HSF are questionable with their contact. It's possible from trying so much you might have started to warp the HSF a little, after all it is soft copper.You might have much better luck simply trying a thin copper shim on the CPU and GPU.

Papusan likes this.
  6. Spctoma

Spctoma Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks guys. I was going to order some new screws to do repaste number 3 but first I've just left off my computer to see how it improves temperatures...
    I didn't believe what I saw :
    CPU : went from 97° (thermal throttling on all cores) to average 80°, maximum 86°.
    GPU : went from 86° to average 65° (max 70°)
    All this figures after 3 hours of Modern Warfare (GPU at 100% load and CPU all threads around 75%)

And I'm talking about the cheapest lift off ever :
    [​IMG]

So with proper lift off with fans and **** it will be amazing.

Sorry if it was discussed many times but I only read the last 50 pages of this mega thread. There should be a banner on first page : repaste only after trying lift off :)

(Or maybe the corks pushed exactly on the right spot on the MB to bend it properly so it made perfect contact ... :D)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  7. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Nope you are right, simply raising these alienware laptops a tiny bit has a really positive effect on the temps. It seems like you might not have undervolted your CPU at all, did you? I never undervolted the 7820HK but if you haven't yet, that's probably what you are missing. It's not as easy as a GPU OC but its very useful

8. Spctoma

Spctoma Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip. I tried undervolting before repaste in the first time and I didn't see any improvement at this time so I didn't give it any chance since.
    Is there a proper guide somewhere on how to do it properly ? I don't trust Youtube Video guides anymore, which tell you to drop random figures in Throttlestop or Intel Xtrem Tuning Utility... Or should I ?

EDIT : -150mV, stock frequencies. 1h OCCT no error, 1h modern warfare : no crash. So far so good. All cores between 65 and 72°C, GPU at 62°C.
    I'm all good for now :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    illuMinniti likes this.
  9. defferw

defferw Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, this is my first message so I hope I'm not breaking any etiquette rules by making this my first post, if so please accept my apologies.
    I have an Alienware 17 R4 (6820HK- 1080) from 2016 which has been getting high CPU temperatures (around 90-95C-sometimes 100C) when playing games causing a lot of throttling, I don't have any images to show it but it is more or less the same case as many others in this thread.
    Following the directions on the start of this thread (thanks iunlock!!) I did a repasting with Grizzly Conductonaut and thermal pads, which to my surprise hasn't worked at all since I keep getting the same high temperatures on most cores (usually 2 or three are above 90-95C while one is a in the lower 80s). It is a bit strange to have such high temp differences, I must say that I did not notice this before (not that I really cared about it either as I was unaware of it). This led me to another post from iunlock where there is this hypothesis about an uneven heatsink which I think could be my case.

Anyways, I am pretty much clueless about what could be the reason as to why I haven't had any noticeable temperature drops. Maybe there are gaps between the HS and the die?
    I found this video from some guy in youtube who uses copper shims to increase pressure on the die (). I've seen in some other post that it might not be the right solution for this and that he doesn't show any proof of the alleged results obtained.

Any insights will be me much appreciated.
    Thanks!

10. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    I have used and do use copper shims, they do help a lot. I guess its also possible you could have mixed up a thermal pad causing a uneven heatsink, but only you would know that. You could try doing quarter turns of the screwdriver in numbered order until each one is fully tightened. However you could also do the same thing with a shim too. I've seen my best temp results while using shims. Some say if you use a shim you should also add onto the thermal pads. The shim should be almost paper thin though and usually the pads already have a lot of pressure on them so personally I don't stack thermal pads.