[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

307 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    In no expert but this doesn't look like software issue. If you damage GPU die you will have same symptoms. But you better get laptop to service center.

2. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, it does sound like something was done to the GPU. You're actually lucky to have Optimus on that configuration so at least you can get the computer to boot.

Besides replacing the motherboard (which is pretty expensive since it comes with both the CPU and GPU), your alternative would be to get the Alienware external GPU amplifier case and use a desktop GPU in it.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Leeroy01 and 0lok like this.
  3. Dont_have_a_name

Dont_have_a_name Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I hope everybody is safe and well.
    Having purchased an Alienware 15R3 3 years ago, it seems the time has come to repaste the CPU, since it's getting very hot under load (90C+) even though the GPU remains cool:cool: (max 58C).
    I'll be repasting the CPU/GPU myself which I've never done before but will give it a shot. The laptop was purchased from licensed resellers HidEvolution who repasted the CPU/GPU with IC Diamond, and "optimally readjusted" the thermal pads before they sent it out to me.
    Which thermal paste would you guys suggest I use, provided it's not liquid metal?
    Would it also be a good idea to replace the thermal pads with new ones, or will it be too tedious for someone like me who isn't experienced?

4. mihaispd

mihaispd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well...18 months later with LM.
    Some degradation is present, but repaste or additional liquid not necessary. Just use the tool to spread the LM even all over again.
    Watch out for the protection degradation. 3M scotch tape must be in place and not deformed.
    Temps are ok, but fans must be clean at all time. Depending on your time/performance usage you can clean them with compressed air. Disconnect the battery first.
    Thermal pads still ok, didnt need to replace them. They have the outlines usage, but still in place and no cracks or leaks.
    Hope people interested can read this and trust this repaste with LM.
    If its done properly you will be satisfied.
    Hope everyone is well and safe.
    Game on.

c69k, Colonel Panic and 0lok like this.
  5. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you for writing this. I did my LM repaste last June and temps are still quite good (if not maybe a little higher than the best they were) and I was wondering when to do another repaste. Glad to know it can be quicker this time around.

6. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I am pretty sure if LM is done perfectly, it should practically last forever. I mean I can't prove it, I don't think I have done a 'perfect' LM paste and the m15's make it impossible to do so anyway due to its even worse HSF design compared to thse 17r4 and 15r3. But as long as its sitting flat, it should last many years. If it isn't as flat as possible, the LM can get dried out. Of course It can be effective without being as flat as possible, but it will dry out

Vasudev and 0lok like this.
  7. dasachmo

dasachmo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. Just about to repaste my 15r4.
    Just wanted to ask... I saw this guide on YouTube. He seems to repaste without removing the motherboard and just taking off the heat sink and leaving the fans in situ. Is that feasible? I haven't done a repaste before?

8. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's how I did it on my 15R3 too when I learned it. Way easier imo. But its up to the preference. If you unplug the battery, there is no difference whatsoever if the MOBO is in or out

9. Teknobry

Teknobry Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That looks like a huge timesaver!

Although looks like he forgot to put the wireless card back in at the end, lol.

10. Spctoma

Spctoma Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,
    I was wondering if using plasticine is a good or bad idea to measure gaps between cpu and gpu die and the heatsink, and for measuring the thermal pads thickness.
    I'm afraid it will leave a thin layer of fat but 90° alcool should do the trick right ?
    Anyone already had a good or bad experience with this ?

I'm repasting my 17 R4 1080 7820HK tomorrow for the second time and I don't want to screw up this time. What should be the minimum and maximum gap thickness for the cpu cpd gpu die ?

Thanks in advance