[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

302 vote(s)
    77.0%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I assume that reseating your cables should make a good change. Also from what you have mentioned it seemed you only did a stress test with the cpu using prime and occt which is why when you play games its more hotter and games uses both cpu and gpu.. try doing a stress test both cpu and gpu at the same time. and when your at it you can redo your repaste.. hehhee

2. JJv1990

JJv1990 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, I did the stress test and gaming seperately, around 30 mins each just to see the temperature. I can't believe that I'm running around 88 degree on the cpu when playing Overwatch, but on Prime95 and OCCT ( which I run seperately), all I had was 60-70. Maybe gaming is a different thing that makes your CPU too hot?

..but everything changes when I undervolt it around -125V on throttlestop, it runs 82 on Overwatch. But I wanted to see the good things about repasting the laptop. XD

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    What you see is the cheap cooling solution “Unified heatsink/shared pipes” disgusting behavior.

Edit. See also similar Unified Heatsink in the Aw13 http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...3-owners-lounge.797884/page-894#post-10936406

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  4. JJv1990

Reputations:
    Hmm.. I guess I'll try bending the tension arm near on the cpu side, I think I just saw an article here by iunclock about that uneven surface on the cpu side. Also I'm using Kryonaut, it just happen this is the paste I've bought cause some say this is the best paste in the market right now. But I've read just now that Kryonaut paste isn't the best paste for laptops, they say go for IC Diamond and its best to use on uneven surface. I don't wanna scratch my cpu and gpu, any thermal paste suggestions other than Kryonaut? I don't wanna use liquid metal also cause I'm a clumsy person, I'm afraid I might spill it.

But it's weird that my Prime95 and OCCT stress test have lower temps compared to when I'm gaming. Can someone explain this to me?

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Grizzly Kryonaut is thin paste and won’t be the best on laptops with awful designed heatsink with low pressure. Look at Phobya NanoGrease Extreme, Gelid Extreme if you won’t go for Liquid metal or ICD. But don’t be afraid for the so called scratches from ICD. Only cosmetic. Won’t destroy the thermal performance.

Regarding higher temps when both CPU and GPU is in full work is due the cheap Unified heatsink design (shared long pipes). Heat will be puked everywhere between the shared pipes.
    38AF514E-4BBB-43B5-9ED8-11A8FA405889.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    0lok likes this.
  6. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have both phobya nanogrease extreme and gelid extreme which I tried on the uneven core but still not good enough. ICD is the best for this situation. Also about the scratching I have tested it. I won't scratch if you soak soak soak soak soak the thermal paste and let it rest for 10 minutes or more and keep repeating the process it won't scratch. It just needs loads of patience. Again your test on prime and OCCT is showing low temps compare to games as the test is only for CPU which only stresses the CPU. Compare when you play games it tends to use both CPU and GPU which is why it is showing high temps. You can try doing a stress test running prime95 or OCCT at the same time with Heaven bench mark for GPU. Temps should be higher that what your getting on your stress test. Hope this helps.

c69k and Papusan like this.
  7. JJv1990

Reputations:
    I see, well we have to get used to it for now. I hope alienware would build a laptop with better heatpipes and thermals.

As for now, I did my 2nd repaste, I'm suspecting the overheating comes from too much thermal paste. I'm running Overwatch with 82 degrees (before it was 88), and I'm happy for it. as long as my game will not stutter. I'm only using my laptop for gaming and some graphic to 3D works. And I undervolted my laptop to -125V and disable turbo boost, and I'm running 72 degree now with my laptop. I'll repaste it again after 8-12 months maybe, then I might try and use IC Diamond. :D

I see that's why it's heating too much when gaming. I thought Prime95 and OCCT run both CPU and GPU. My bad, sorry. Will definitely try ICD after a year maybe. I just want to enjoy my stutter free gaming for now. XD

0lok and Papusan like this.
  8. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So there are a few problems that I found after a successful repaste using LM. After 6 months, my CPU and GPU were still as good as when I first did the repaste (thanks to the foam dam), all my previous attempts without the foam dam experienced degration after about 1-3 months. But here are the problems: the temperature of other components when up. My M.2 temp went from 80 max to over 95 right after the repaste. I'm not sure how does this affect the durability of the machine but I end up with:
    + Inflated battery
    + Dead GPU (There was no LM on the GPU, just GC Extreme)
    The laptop had been under heavy usage but it's only 1 year old so I suspect the increase in temperature reduces these component life span.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  9. Gravitys

Gravitys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just to say thank you @iunlock : i have followed your guide, applied LM, CPU temp went from 100° down to max 78° now with max core diff of 4° !!

LM is a nightmare to apply, but it is doable if you follow instructions :)

iunlock, Vasudev, c69k and 1 other person like this.
  10. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Great stuff! Good job on your repaste and I'm glad that the guide was helpful.

Game on!

Gravitys and hmscott like this.