[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

299 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would be great to hear what you think you did wrong the first time and what you did differently the second time :)

2. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I received my replacement unit and although it does not shut down,the max temps I got was 93 on stress test but when I undervolt using XTU, my temps were between high 70s to mid to high 80s playing Witcher 3. Seems improved but I need to undervolt my CPU. I'll wait for the New Bios update and see if it is really the temp sensor issue.

I do get 90 temp spike but it's not consistent. In fact, while I average between high 70s to mid to high 80s, I only get 90 temp spike just for one second and it gets back to the temp average then after 10 mins, it goes to 90s just for one second again then goes back to mid 80s

I really wanted someone to repaste my replacement unit. The other dell tech that tried to do on my old unit screwed up the hinges on my monitor. Any one in the Los Angeles area that can hook me up?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  3. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @PMF I have just used some more liquid metal for the CPU DIE because there is a minor delta between heatsink and the DIE. So I have added some more LM on the cooler part of the CPU and and on the DIE itself.

PMF likes this.
  4. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I tested Witcher 2. Degrees is between low 70s to mid 80s CPU. Not bad.<br /><br />It's only Witcher 3 that can spike till 93 degrees just for one second and goes back to high 70s to high 80s on average. <br /><br /><br /><br />Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

5. dawnoseven

dawnoseven Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey iunlock! New on the forums here, I am planning on buying AW17 soon when GTX1080 version comes and thought maybe repaste once I get the system. I just would like to know if you remove the electric tape after repasting and when done with everything? Sorry for the very noob question just was confused. Also I am in between if I should go with 4K display or 1080P. I dont care about 120hz display since I hate TN panels

6. Derek@TecnotecPC

Derek@TecnotecPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I personally don't really need 4k at this time until content catches up to it and so I've personally been doing 1080 on all my devices when given the choice. That's what it'll boil down to though, your preference of futureproofing at a little more cost vs the thing that will get you by until the new tech becomes the norm and if you'll be ok with not having the latest and greatest.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, not good info, don't remove the electrical tape.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Derek@TecnotecPC

Reputations:
    Sorry, my bad, I thought this was a completely different thread talking about using electrical tape and must have skipped over pieces of the post that would have told me I was not where I thought I was! Disregard my post, I'll edit to prevent the bad info from being read by others.

hmscott likes this.
  9. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it possible to view GPU and CPU temps in HWinfo? If not, what program is recommended, I tried using HWinfo and it said some error and I think I pressed cancel and it showed only CPU, doesn't show GPU. Didn't bother to install Afterburner or Precision X yet, since I want to get a SSD around black friday

10. Derek@TecnotecPC

Reputations:
    HWinfo should show everything. Try elevating to run as administrator.

hmscott and illuMinniti like this.