[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

280 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. hutzi

hutzi Newbie

Reputations:
    New Alienware owner here (i9 8950HK, GTX1080, 32GB RAM, 1TB m2 SSD, 4k GSync).
    As soon as I've enabled the performance mode in BIOS temperatures went to 100°C on the CPU, the fans were screaming and the CPU throttled like hell. GPU under "Heaven" loop reached 80°C as well.

Started with tuning the voltages on both, CPU and GPU which worked quite good. CPU is ended up fine with -142mv under all conditions (-150 wasn't stable anymore). This brought the temperatures down to 87°C (max) on full load and it was able to permanently hold the 3,8GHz which I've set it to. Also tweaked the GPU to use max. 0.925V at 1850MHz which neither increased nor decreased the temperature but greatly improved performance.

But this thing was still very loud and temperatures are not considered "good" in my opinion. So I've followed the instructions for repasting this beast and decided to go for LM + repadding.

After that the temperatures went down quite significant with the same conditions (about 24°C ambient, no lifted back, no cooling-pad, fan-profile "balanced"). After about an hour of load as a first test I ended up with that:
    CPU 3,8GHz max 74°C (-10°C and WAY more silent)
    GPU 0.925mv 1850MHz max. 68°C (-13°C and WAY more silent)

I'm pretty happy with the results. Will test more today. Also got my Cooling-Pad. Silence is more important to me than 500MHz more on the CPU that I don't need yet.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Vistar Shook, c69k and captn.ko like this.
  2. Mark Beharrell

Mark Beharrell Newbie

Reputations:
    After taking advice that the temps I was getting after a second repaste/repad was far too high I think I finally have got it right on the third try!

This time I used Cooler Master MasterGel Maker instead of IC Diamond 7 - no idea how old my IC was. Mostly the pads are now 1mm and 0.5mms. There's a couple of places where the gap was larger so they were stacked to make up 1.5mm.

I also took the time to change over to some larger head and stronger screws. I was finding that the screws were so soft that it was going to get to a point that I couldn't unscrew anymore.

I swapped out the Killer WiFi to the latest Intel 9260. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Du...-9260NGW-BT-5-0-Card-01AX769-W25/292462114421

The temps in the picture are Idle/browsing for about an hour and the hot temps are from 2 hours of FarCry 5 at Ultra everywhere.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

c69k likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Speedfan readings are good. Use HWINFO instead of Speedfan. With HWINFO you can control the fans as well.
    Which card you swapped out? killer 1550? If its 1550 then the card is same as intel 9260 with change in brand name. These cards have worse signal quality and range compared to 1535 acc. to Phoenix.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. Mark Beharrell

Mark Beharrell Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately mine had the 1435 in it - I think it was built/assembled in September 2017.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have about 90~100fps on average with a 1070 on FHD with everything on Epic, on low it goes way over 160.

deybitesq and Vasudev like this.
  7. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah I have the one with GTX 1080 and on EPIC with QHD I got around 100fps, so it's not normal at all.... I'm surprise by the Dell Representative response saying that low fps is normal for Alienware machine, like WTF???? Also I just realize something, you don't have to disconnect the fan when doing the repaste, you just have to unscrew the 6 tinny screws on the fan and lift the heatsink up which save A LOT OF TIME and effort repasting this laptop. Also you dont need to remove the wifi card @iunlock should really consider updating his guide.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  8. JJv1990

JJv1990 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone can help me which thermal pad is best used for stuttering issues? Thanks.

9. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    O chose Gelid and will stay with it until something MUCH better comes out. I like how Gelid keeps its form, they are soft and high 12 W/mK. Since I put them in my laptop I have no CPU core differences, and they adjust good to uneven height of components to be cooled.
    I have experience with stock and Alphacool (about the same as Fujipoly, maybe re-brand).

Both pushed my heat-sink too high over dyes and I had too high GPU temperature or CPU overheating/uneven core temperatures differences.

Vasudev and propeldragon like this.
  10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I second this

I put gelid on 1, Thermal grizzly minus pads on 2, and Arctics on 3. I dont like Fujipolyu's they are just too dry and dense.

Vasudev and c69k like this.