[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

280 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 5.1GHz

Reputations:
    That was a joke right? LOL ...(About the razer/razor blade...)

I'm pretty sure given the context, that people here are smarter than to mistaken that for using two laptops.

I'm speechless if this wasn't a joke. :p

Precisely, which is an example that you got what I had meant... Glad you got it to work.

Tip: Definitely try different things until you get it to your liking, but do keep in mind that the shore rating of something soft doesn't mean that they all share the same max, "squish," point... a lot of the thermal pads reach the max peak at different limits when you compress them.

I don't recommend using K5 as it'll just dry up, is not very good thermal conductivity wise and will start flaking.

This has been tried and tested many times over. :)

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I agree 100% with @Papusan on this. If you get single 1080, have them provide the vapor chamber for dual 1080.

I try to live by the Golden Rule. The Clevo P870 (with @Prema BIOS) is the only high performance laptop that I can recommend, as it is the only one I even remotely entertain the notion of purchasing for myself. I am simply not interested in buying broken garbage that cannot be everything I require it to be. Nor am I content with paying a lot for something new that costs an absolutely ludicrous amount to fix if the mobo dies outside of warranty. I'm fine with BGA CPU and GPU on a cheap (under $500) notebook like a low end Inspiron, a cheap Acer or even a Chromebook, because I can throw it in the trash and buy another one when it craps out before I am done using it.

The sad part is, everything that comes off an assembly line is a pile of trash now. Even the better products have to be fixed before they work well. HIDevolution takes care of that nonsense for you, so you don't have to deal with it. Doesn't matter what you buy from them (Alienware, Clevo, MSI, etc.) it's going to be tested and the broken crap fixed before it is sent your direction. They actually care about their customers and the stuff they buy.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    KY_BULLET, Papusan, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    TBH, I wasn't joking. My dad thought Razer(laptop) was new version of Gillette Razor when I actually told its a laptop brand.
    Razer 2017 were POS, now they've made amends to cooling system which are far better.[/QUOTE]

Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @iunlock What are your thoughts on using thermal paste on thermal pads? Have you done any testing? I know EK tells you to have thermal paste on both side of the thermal pads when applying a water block.

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    highly depends the thermal pads, For example arctics will absorb silicone based paste in its pores.

propeldragon and c69k like this.
  6. propeldragon

Reputations:
    I guess I had arctic pads and gelid pads on my mind. So the thermal pads would improve with paste? I would think anyway. I wonder if it would be worth the mess it would make.

7. Franksredhott

Franksredhott Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, new Alienware 17 owner here. Any thoughts if liquid metal is an acceptable solution, if I'm occasionally travelling with the laptop.

8. Franksredhott

Franksredhott Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If it's not recommended, what kind of thermal compound would be best to lower temperatures?

9. propeldragon

Reputations:
    Phobya nanogrease extreme is the best paste I have used. It's what I use. LM is up to you. If you take the right precautions it's safe.

Vistar Shook, raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  10. JJv1990

JJv1990 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi i'd like to ask if which thermal pads is best for AW17 R4 7820HK GTX 1080? I'm planning to repaste this soon with Kryonaut but i'm still stuck at which thermal pad is best for this unit (Can't decide from Fujipoly, Arctic or Gelid). I'm having stutters during gameplay with only 85-87c on CPU temp and 80-82c on GPU with stock thermal paste and undervolted to -120 this is why i wanted to change it with best quality thermal pads to fix this issue.

And I'd like to ask if this site is still working FrozenCPU? Thanks.