[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

267 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Maybe.

69 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Zer0K

Zer0K Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried this?
    37081_20180627104535_847.jpg

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  3. Zer0K

Zer0K Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    yes

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What are the modifications? I only see a slightly different top arm. Is it also available for a 15 inch model?

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What does this "SHORE" thing mean, and how or why does that make Gelid better than Arctic?
    You can get giant 145x145mm arctic pads.

I mean come on, if you're not rich, would you rather buy something this tiny like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Gelid-GP-Extreme-TP-GP01-B-1-0-Thermal/dp/B01AAHM1WW/
    (that's 45mm x 78mm for $10 dollars)
    Or This

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Thermal-Efficient-Conductivity-Handling/dp/B00UYTTXSM/
    (145mmx145mm for $15).

And the 0.5mm arctic pads are only $10.

6. c69k

c69k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Capture.PNG

They (Gelids) are 12 W/mk vs Arctic 6 W/mk and they simply work even on places where elastic pads failed (Gelids vs. Dell default elastic pads above processor) = with 0.5 mm Gelids I get no more core temperature differencials vs. 0.1 mm Dell pads.

You definitely get more Arctic than Gelid for 10 EUR, lucky people who are happy with Arctics.
    Now with shore the lower the better (for laptops) for proper heat-sink vs. dye contact, especially with LM. In this case Gelids are harder then Arctic but they do not push heat-sink back as much as elastic pads. This is good for my memory chips around GPU where the area to be pressed down is large.

I had really hard time to get proper contact with VRMs,memory chips and chokes AND at the same time LM dyes and heat-sink.

EDIT (saw rest of your post): I agree, but elastic pads do not work on my laptop.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    rinneh, Vasudev and propeldragon like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    You have to try everything if the headache is awful as a TRIPOD. MONEY aka the price should come last.

8. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Replacing stock thermal pad with K5-Pro paste

One of the biggest problem that I have while repasting + repadding the Alienware 17R4 (i7 7820hk GTX 1080) is finding the perfect thermal pad thickness. Using the wrong thickness will cause poor contact on either the VR on the CPU/GPU. This problem is worst when you try to repaste with Liquid Metal since the paste layer needs to be very thin to be effective. So I find this on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/PRO-viscous-thermal-paste-replacement/dp/B018XR6TOM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=153... . Apparently, it's a kind of paste that claim to be able to replace thermal pads (up to 3 mm thick). And since it's a paste, you don't have to worry about getting the correct thickness, just slap a bunch of them on the motherboard and the mounting pressure from the heatsink will create the perfect thickness for you( or at least that what they advertised). So I just want to ask if this is a good idea? Have anyone tried this?

If not then I'm still looking a good thermal pad to replace the stock thermal pad, something that is easy to use and can be reused (I'm think of fujipoly but they are extremely expensive and if the repaste job fail, I'm afraid that I have to replace them every time I remove the heatsink).

Also, I would like to ask how important are the thermal pads really? Do they make a huge different in CPU/GPU temperatures? Because so far from what I understand, they are used to provide heat transfer for the VR, which I don't think have anything to do with CPU/GPU temperatures. So unless you are doing some crazy overclocking then your VR should never overheat right?

In the end, I'm actually wondering if Alienware laptops are even worth buying anymore. I've spent a lot of time and money just to try to fix this one thermal issue. Owning an Alienware has always been a dream to me but I'm starting to regret it. I guess I'm just gonna move on, get rid of this laptop and buy something else this time. Does anyone have a good recommendation on what brand to buy? I'm thinking MSI, Sager or Clevo, just looking for something that works out of the box or at least easy to fix/modify. Thank you.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Zer0K

Zer0K Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Don't use this... Really) You never clear it from the motherboard.
    If you can not choose the thickness of the thermal pads use Laird TFlex 3xx series.
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=547906263262

Nam Nguyen likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Clevo P870Tm with single or dual graphics. From Prema partner. F.eks HIDevolution.
    Too hot VRM’s will push stuttering and freezes.

Edit. And you haven’t temperature monitoring sensors on those components. Only the Graphics cores.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Ashtrix, raz8020, Mr. Fox and 3 others like this.