[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

274 vote(s)
    75.3%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. Lexo

Lexo Newbie

Reputations:
    Just joind up to say thanks for the repaste guide. Was going to repaste anwyay when I bought my 15r3 but the guide pointing out the heatpad issue was great.

Temps out of the box (system bought April 2018) were hitting up to high 80's in some games on the CPU and around 75 on GPU.
    After a repaste high 70's on CPU, then I found this guide and did a little undervolting, custom fan profile and replaced some of the pads. NOT the ones on the CPU section however.
    With mine being a later production it seems the 0.1mm pad over the fets was also used for the VRM directly next to them, none of the 0.5mm stuff.

So thermal grizzly cryonaut (not risking liquid metal on a device thats moved every day), slight bend on the top tripod arm and replacing the 1mm pads on the GPU section only, the very slightly twisting the heatsink at the CPU side here are my temps now. Core temps nice and close to each other now also, previously were up to 15c apart.

7700HQ (0.1v undervolt on CPU and Cache) with a GTX 1060

[​IMG]

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Easy way to check this vs known examples:

Disable 2 cores. May or may not be possible with editing the boot configuration in windows (was possible back in windows 7).
    I don't think this will work properly if you just try to run 4 cores 8 threads in prime95. Seems like the entire CPU is still being used at partial usage. Not good. You want windows to boot with only 4 physical cores active. It's important for Throttlestop to physically only detect 4 cores (8 threads) only.

Set your CPU to 4.5 ghz 1.18v manual (static) voltage. Manual, not adaptive.

Run prime95, @ 4.5 ghz, DISABLE AVX (In prime95 local.txt folder,add this string: CPUSupportsAVX=0)
    Run prime95 small FFT. Should say type 0 FFT, pentium 4 FFT or core 2 FFT, whatever. If it says AVX or FMA3 then you didn't edit local.txt properly at all.
    Use maximum fan speed.

Post power draw and temps and HWinfo screenshot.

Wattage should be between 75-80W, VID should show between 1.180v-1.205v.

If you don't get this result then your VID is not being reported properly.

Vasudev and Niarus like this.
  3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Somethings piss me off to no end......

yesterday received thermal grizzly thermal pads. Ordered 1mm according to the requirements of the original schematic. Was already thinking they where quite thick compared to the original 1mm pads which where indeed a tad thicker than the 0.5mm pads. Anyway I proceeded with the thought process they might compress a lot. Well was I wrong. They are just 2mm thick no matter what even though the package says 1mm. Measured them. The thing is cant really complain to Amazon abotut i because my Japanese is simply not good enough for that. wasted about 25 bucks on pads.

Have 0.5mm pads everywhere now and there is good compression at the GPU vrm's but I dont see any compression happening at the GPU ram chips.....

But cant find any decently priced 1mm thermal pads from other brands anywhere in Japan.

The CPU and GPU temps are good though. 82c for the highest core and 79c on the lowest core and 70c for GPU.. They keyboard deck also doesnt feel that hot so I would assume no part is heating up excessively now. But still this doesnt give me a peace of mind in any shape or form.

Vasudev, c69k and Papusan like this.
  4. a_Criminai

a_Criminai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did the laziest thing ever and it ended up working. I repasted my 17 R4 using a 138w heatsink instead of the 85w heatsink and when i was finished I found that I had a 20c core differential. Not feeling like doing a full repaste tear down again, I half took it apart just enough to where I could get my hand on the heatsink. I unscrewed and bent the problematic arm fairly hard. Then I half unscrewed the 2 bottom CPU screws. I re screwed the arm first and then re tightened the 2 bottom screws. After putting my system back together my core differential is now about 5c and it lowered my package temp 15c. I'm happy with the result and also happy not needing to take apart the motherboard again lol.

MogRules, Vasudev and JasperLee93 like this.
  5. robprov

robprov Newbie

Reputations:

6. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 5.1GHz

Reputations:
    Looks great. Glad it helped.

7. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok so the weirdest thing just happened to me. After I repaste with Conductonaunt and repad with this https://gelidsolutions.com/thermal-solutions/accessories-gp-extreme/ (couldnt find Fujipoly from where I'm from) the temperature was horrible! I got instant 99'C on Core 0 using Aida64 Extreme FPU test and the fan was kinda loud on IDLE! I gave up and decide to contact Dell because it's just so damn hard to balance the Heatsink (If I increase pads thickness so that they make good contact, the cpu and gpu won't be able to make good contact due to the thin layer of liquid metal). But when I contact Dell today and have the guy check the temperature, everything was fine.... I use Aida64 Extreme to do FPU stress test again and after about 5min the temperature balance out at around 70-72 degree with about 5 degree in core differential. GPU and FPU stress test combine produce almost the same result (with CPU clock at around 2600Mhz and GPU at 1550 Mhz during the stress test) and my fan is a lot more quiet now. I have no idea why this happen. But again I'm not sure if it's gonna hold this temperature for long (I always have to do a repaste every 6 months because Conductonaunt seems to lose its performance). I'm thinking of using a thin copper pad (0.5mm) to increase contact between the heatsink and the cpu & gpu, maybe poor contact is what causing all these unstable performance, do you guys think it's a good idea? Or is it somekind of software update that fix this problem? Would love to hear from you @iunlock

c69k likes this.
  8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gelids (if a bit too thick) need a very little time at higher temperature to get thinner and then they 'give' and you automatically should get good CPU/GPU dye vs. heatsink contact. Give it a few days and heat it up benchmarking or playing games.

I believe you used the best pads available (for laptops). I also use Gelids, after Alphacool (+/- Fujipoly) 17W/mk turned out to be too hard and incompressible. Combined with Conductonaut I cannot imagine better cooling results for my configuration.

Do you see throttling for your processor during AIDA64? Because I have 7700HQ and all cores at 3400Mhz stressing cpu, fpu, cache and Gpu(s) at 1800 Mhz at the same time.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    propeldragon and Vasudev like this.
  9. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did the FPU + Cache + GPU stress test and see no thermal throttling. But the CPU was only clocked at around 2900Mhz and couldn't get any higher, same goes for the GPU which always stay at 1550Mhz and couldnt get any higher. Sometimes during the test the CPU clock speed also dropped to around 1900Mhz (but still no CPU throttling is detected for some reason). I try using the Alienware Command Center and use their 1st overclock options, after about 15 mins of overwatch the CPU clock drop to like 900Mhz which obviously cause the game fps to drop. But for some reasons Hwinfo and Aida64 still didn't see it as Thermal Throttling???? Maybe something is wrong with my sensors?

c69k likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Use Trottlestop or lower polling frequencies time in Hwinfo setup

Ashtrix, c69k and Vasudev like this.