[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

263 vote(s)
    75.4%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Maybe.

67 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Milzit

Milzit Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the great guide! But I have a problem to disassemble the head sink. After what I have read I should use PH1 bit. But I`m not able to unscrew the headsink. Seems like this require some other bits? Any suggestion?
    This is how the screw look like:

https://ibb.co/hKpevo

[​IMG]

Also seems like I damaged one of the screws with the PH1 bit::(
    [​IMG]

https://ibb.co/eLSGao

2. dkevox

dkevox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't hate me for not reading through 334 pages.

I'm going to repaste my laptop, I'm just trying to figure out longer term experience with LM. I'm not concerned about damaging any components as I have extensive experience watercooling and working on pc's, but I'm extremely turned off by the idea of needing to perform periodic maintenance for the LM.

Hoping someone can either provide some feedback/personal experience, or can point me to a better thread with people's results?

So far, about half of what I read says it's good to go with no issues ever after installing, and half says it'll need to be redone every so often. I understand the difference is primarily if the heatsink is a copper block as the LM reacts with that. I believe my heatsink is nickle so maybe this is a non issue than?

But I've also read people saying that the heat cycling and hitting high temps with the LM can force it out, therefore requiring maintenance. I'm not doing this to an alienware (asus GM501 instead), and I do expect, even with LM, that my temps will hit over 80C so that may be an issue.

Any guidance/feedback would be appreciated!

3. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Newbie

Reputations:
    Question: The liquid metal seems to be absorb into the heatsink after about 5 months which makes it looks like it's dried out which make the temperature bad again. Should I reapply without removing the old liquid metal?

4. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Newbie

Reputations:
    Mine looks like it's dried out after about 5 months. I guess you need to reapply it when that happens but I'm not sure if you should clean the old liquid metal or just apply another layer on top of it.

5. c69k

c69k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think the best is to remove old LM (dust particles and chemical reaction impurities, dry LM), but leave the stain (only discoloration) on heat-sink. If you put fresh LM, the heat-sink does not/cannot absorb no more LM over time, because Copper and LM are already bonded in the stain.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you replied to my messages on battle.net or even asked me, I would have been able to tell you.
    NEVER reapply on top of dried out LM. Contact will be nonexistent, instant 100C.
    You need 100% or 91% alcohol, and 3000 grit "polishing" sandpaper, that will remove all of the old alcohol without wearing down the heatsink.

Part of the LM will always harden. To keep the main part liquid, you must:
    1) have good contact pressure.
    2) use enough LM to compensate for the battery effect (meaning you have to use more than the "super thin" layer others suggested). Foam dams will help protect from any excess runoff.
    3) rub VERY vigorously a coating of LM On the heatsink surface initially, using something lint free, and work it in hard and fast. This starts the battery effect directly on that layer rather than the CPU.
    The conductonaut swabs will not work well for this. You will have to wipe so hard, fabric might rub off and any fabric or fiber on the heatsink isn't good.
    I recommend something like this for spreading and rubbing in LM with no fabrics tearing off or fibers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q3BG6Y4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Vasudev, rinneh and c69k like this.
  7. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey dude, sorry for that, been busy with College and I just finished with exams. Oh and I don't have that battlenet accout anymore (gave it to my friend cause he wants my hearthstone account) so you won't be able to reach me on that. Thanks for the answer. But isn't the foam will make the contact between the cpu and the heatsink even worse? I mean unless I could find somekind of supper thin foam.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In Asia now with ambient temps of 25c/26c in my current room. Getting a slightly higher core differential than back in Europe. Which I want to rectify. It annoys me to no end now :D

But my core temperature distribution is different than the usual "tripod" pattern.

My core temperature pattern looks like this when stressing the CPU

core 1 - 70c
    core 2 - 72c
    core 3 - 67c
    core 4 - 67c

Is it safe to assume that the GPU side of the heatsink is causing the uneven pressure in my case?

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Check C0% and your background apps. Most apps tend to push 1 or 2 cores which might explain uneven core temps sort of issue.

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for tbe tip. But it is in prime95