[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

302 vote(s)
    77.0%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Funnily enough I’m having this issue.
    When it was stock. I had no noticeable throttling. But it was there. I’ve repasted and now it’s much worse. But my temps are waaaay better. Basically in xtu the current limit throttling is fine and same for power limit throttling.
    But it’s the thermal throttling that’s lights up. But not often yet. Even when running a game and the xtu stress test at same time. It barely flags up on it.
    Yet in games it spikes FPS mad.
    But on my last motherboard the current limit throttling was happening constant and power limit throttling would flag up. Yet still the game performance was much better but was just hotter.
    So what gives as the scenarios was the same on both boards. Nothing modified. 10c better temps. Worse FPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Altairwarz

Altairwarz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

When does lagging/stuttering start?
    Check out this thread, it helped solve the problem on my machine hope it helps you too:

Alienware 17 R4 GTX1080 in game ra...-random-Stutter-&-Freeze.804499/&share_type=t

3. Engineer-94

Engineer-94 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    View attachment 158180 View attachment 158184 Guys I think I finally found out where the problem was.

The thing is I undervolted my GPU by using MSI Afterburner to improve the cooling of GTX 1080. And this is where the problem starts. I realized, the game we play require much more frequency as compare to idle state. what I was doing is pushing the gpu to work at higher frequency components at lesser provided voltage, which is called undervolting. Unfortunately, this doesn't actually work on most of the laptops including AW 17R4 2017. Where as slight undervolting actually works maintaining the straight line profile. I used GPUZ to observe the PerfCap and how it responds not only for undervolting but also overclocking. Overclocking does not work me still working on it. The screenshot was taken during Crysis 3 game play:

View attachment 158180

Take a look at PerfCap Reason. VRel has no drops to Idle.

The game required 1.04v to run at 1800Mhz. So I forced it at lesser frequency at the same voltage. By doing this laptop would consume slightly more power if it is working in the right region to 1v, and would by slightly undervolted in the left region to 1v.

Also, for the users who are using this machine in hot climate ( ambient temperature > 32 degree Celsius ) must not attempt to overclock their gpu. For me it does not work maybe because my room temperature is 37 degree Celsius.

But my problem is not eliminated completely. Still cannot understand what is Pwr.Vrel. The point where it occurs frames drop suddenly, different from 1 sec lag.

My question is how can I eliminate this full load thing ??

My final findings are:

Solution 2.png

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  4. Engineer-94

Reputations:

5. mokobey

mokobey Newbie

Reputations:
    Is the thermal pad thickness pattern for 17 is the same for 15? newbie here I just got a 2nd hand 15 r3 1070 never been opened

6. Engineer-94

Reputations:
    No Bro, even two 17R4 has different gaps. you can take Iunlock guide as a reference point, but cannot follow blindly all the pad thicknesses he has recommended.

You have to measure gaps of your AW15 yourself. Once padded do not apply paste, use some tweezers to examine those applied pads, if they move then add 0.5 mm thick pads and examine again. It is the only way to rectify the problem, because it is just not possible to observe the gaps with the naked eye.

When you see none of pads are moving with tweezers, then apply the thermal paste.

also keep in mind that adding too much thickness to pads would lift the sink from the memory chips and other ares, so apply the pads with measured and correct thickness. The desired pad with correct would be having an imprint of an IC on which it is placed.

7. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Came across this on a random and this video popped up not even browsing computer stuff.

Be very useful in time and money not having to replace if your not one for LM

8. 5tormyweather

5tormyweather Newbie

Reputations:
    Just a shoutout to iunlock for the amazing guide! Dude you need to get paid for this guide!
    (FYI I had 11 black screws on step 2).
    I did all but the PCH mod(I forgot to buy the stuff, or maybe I couldn’t wait).
    Amazing temp drops up to 20+! In some cases I had differences of 30C playing Arma3.
    My passmark score increased as well!
    When I replaced the four little square thermal pads the stock ones still had those plastic peel off protectors on them :eek:
    I’ll upload pics when I get home.
    I can overclock and feel good about temperatures again!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Pete Light likes this.
  9. mokobey

mokobey Newbie

Reputations:
    thank, is there anyone have done a pattern for AW15?

10. Engineer-94

Reputations:
    Just tell me How are you goin to use it on a laptop cpu die 1/4th the size of the one in desktop?

Another question is gpu has capacitor all around the die, and this one is conductive. If we assume to cut it, for the dimensions as that of the gpu die, the value of thermal conductivity would fall down to the approximate value of the ordinary paste.

So, what is the advantage of risking the 3000 dollars laptop just for the sake of some innovation ?