[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

274 vote(s)
    75.3%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yesterday I changed IC7 thermal paste for 0.5 mm Gelid thermal pads on processor side chips. I used to have 20c core differences with stock pads on processor side, then went with IC7 thermal paste and it helped, but now I wanted to try Gelids because they are very soft. I removed IC7, placed Gelids (very soft and flexible pads 12 W/mk, hardness SHORE 00 35) on chips and tried to get permanent contact between unscrewed heat-sink and processor dye by pressing pads down with finger (with pad protective film still attached) till I was sure that processor dye vs heat-sink have permanent contact. Then I applied Conductonaut, removed pad protective sticker and screwed heat-sink on.

TBH. I was happy with IC7 (to be used instead of pads) because it made core temps perfectly even, but it looked a bit too funny and melted barbie after I opened my laptop yesterday so I went pads and no core differentials (see post 7177 and 7179 from link below).
    I hope this helps, because core temp differencials were driving me nuts.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-alienware-13-r3-owners-lounge.797884/page-718

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    sisqo_uk likes this.
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Damn thats too bad, thanks for the information! For now I use the stock pads. But might use my stash of Arctic and Gelid pads soon.

c69k likes this.
  3. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yea I saw I was like “what the...oh it’s paste” it did a good job. My temps are even but they have raised about 10c in my aw13. But it has been a year since I’ve had it and I’ve never opened it because I’d of been upset had I opened it and made it uneven. But I gotta open it to stop the chassis squeak on palm rest. So I’ll see how dirty the fans are either tonight or tomorrow.
    But as for my aw15, Man it’s annoying. Might fake my temps to get an engineer to send me a new heatsink replacement. Core 0 and 2 are the most offset and core3 just stays low so it can be sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c69k likes this.
  4. Zerpy

Zerpy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Honestly, I went through multiple replacement boards and heatsinks, all came with the differentials. The only way to fix it appears to be modifying the pads or heatsink itself. The chances of you winning the Dell lottery is probably pretty slim.

sisqo_uk, Papusan and Vistar Shook like this.
  5. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably. Looking at some gelid pads now. It’s not the kinda thing I do. Usually I just paste and away I go. So if anybody fancies opening their laptop to show the heat sink with the new pads on the cpu side be great. Core differential is annoying to say the least. Just the thought of it makes want it sorted rather than being happy and just play. Worst thing is I’m only keeping it till what ever the next gpu is here before I sell it anyway (ampere/Volta or the other one).
    Dell reckon they solved a some of that out. So no excuses on the next revision.

6. Engineer-94

Engineer-94 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there, 0.1 mm tape is very difficult to find. Can I use any thermal paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut in place of this 0.1 mm thermal tape?

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Definitely not kryonaut it will pump out like mad. Still ahve my doubts about ICD7 for that purpose. Maybe very soft 0.5mm tehrmal pads and hope it squeezes tightly enough.

c69k likes this.
  8. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Blimey. Watching this guy open my laptop is a pain. I have to wonder if he’s opened one before. But hey if they break it they pay. Nice 6 core be nice replacement but since they still stock r3s that will not be likely. Just wanna see what the new heat sink looks like and I’ll leave him alone to do this as if hate someone breathing down my neck doing my job I’d assume I can do better LOL.

To add the heat sink is exactly the same and it IS the revised one . I only checked. I’ve opened this a few times and never thought to check. If it’s still hot and I complain then they’d replace the motherboard.
    Anyone had had any differences from a mother board replacement? Wanna know if that route is a waste of time.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  9. SoldierRBT

SoldierRBT Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I recently got an AW 17 R4 (7820HK + GTX 1080) and the temperatures out of the box were too high. I saw this guide and I decided to do a repaste with Grizzly Kryonaut. Before repaste I was getting about max 84C (lowest temp core was 68C) stock clocks in cinebench R15 and max temperatures of 93C (Core #3 75C) when gaming. Thanks to this guide I did a repaste, getting lower temperatures and fixing the uneven core temperatures.

Now CPU is running at 4.10GHz OC -120mV. I'm getting 65C-66C in cinebench r15 and 80C-82C when gaming. My PCH max temperature is 75C. Should I do a PCH mod? My nvme ssd gets about 83C when gaming. I already bought a NVME SSD heatsink. Hope it helps to reduce the temperature.

Vistar Shook and Altairwarz like this.
  10. Altairwarz

Altairwarz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you repad it too? And what method did you use to repaste? Pea, line or did you spread it out?