[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

289 vote(s)
    76.1%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Maybe.

72 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. Engineer-94

Engineer-94 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

2. Engineer-94

Engineer-94 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you, very much brother Genryuu. I want to ask something of vital importance.

I am a bit confused over the right selection of thermal pads. I think there are three ways to do it. Kindly tell me which one is the best:
    1) just do not remove stock AW pads except the 0.5 mm ( like stairs covering chips above cpu ), changing them from 0.5 mm to 1 mm
    2) remove all AW stock pads and use new Fujipoly Thermal pads as mentioned at the iunlock page, changing 0.5 mm ( like stairs covering chips above cpu ) from 0.5 mm to 1 mm.
    3) remove all AW stock pads and use some other thermal pads ( like ARCTIC ) which retain their shapes as soon as the load of sink removes, since I read that Fujipoly if pressed do not return to their previous shape. If other than which ones? Please mention

kindly tell me that the thicknesses of all the thermal pads are correct as shown at iunlock page, especially, the one which is above GPU( 0.5 mm ). Because what I think that the height of all the ICs. around the GPU is same, then why does he used 0.5 mm above except 1 mm?

Please tell me how can I get the the heat sink and adhesive you used on your PCHs. Lets say I get the sink from some where, from where would I get that adhesive. Is their any name of this adhesive?

One more thing, Is their a way to repaste with just removing a cover on the mother board ( internal plastic cover ). Actually I do not want to open up this whole computer.

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Genryuu

Genryuu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For thermal pads' thickness, it's case by case.
    You should follow iunlock's guide, and then adjust in case you see you're not getting good results.
    In my case the one that was off compared to iunlock's guide was the "stairs" one, but in your case it could be different.

But yeah, you should probably just replace all pads, and then work from there.
    Fujipoly are really expensive and not reusable, that's why I followed someone's suggestion and went with Arctic.

As for the heatsink, I had it around. I had bought it on amazon for really cheap, and it came with the adhesive already on its bottom.
    If you can't find anything like it, just go with iunlock's method, which is just a little more time consuming (but allows you to use thermal paste, so it should give better results).

If you have trouble finding stuff in your country, I guess you could buy everything from amazon.com making a single order.
    I had to do the same because most of the stuff I used cannot be found in Japan at reasonable prices, and overall shipping wasn't that expensive.

I read that you can remove the heatsink if you remove the small screws on the fans. But people do not recommend this because it makes it difficult to make pressure on the screws when putting it back together.
    To be honest, when you got to the motherboard, removing it is just a matter of a few more minutes.

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    With the "stairs" do you mean the vrms on top of the cpu? Those need to be thinner for an even core temp balance. They use like 0.1mm sheets for that now.

5. Genryuu

Genryuu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry, had to be more specific I guess.
    I meant the 1.5mm ones.
    I didn't replace the ones above as suggested by iunlock.
    These ones were supposed to be 1.5, but in my case making them 1.0 did the trick.

(I didn't manage to upload an image or link from imgur lol, what am I doing wrong? ahah)

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Image doesnt work.

7. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Hey guys, it's great to see all the discussion and the positive results people are having.

As for the thermal pads, as some of you have reiterated from what I've stated in the OP, those definitely are unique in size to each system as the tolerances do vary.

The best thing to do is to eye ball the stock thermal pads once you take off the heat sink, then note the ones that have imprints and ones that do not. From there adjust the thickness of the pads accordingly.

K5 Pro is tricky... at first it may seem like a great idea, but the integrity of K5 decreases at a very fast rate and you'll end up having to replace that often. I've done many tests in the very beginning with all sorts of stuff and the reason I never published K5 was due to it's weak performance. On paper and in thought it sounds great, but thermal pads are the way to go. As always, to each his own.

Hope all is well ..it's great to see a lot of new faces along with the old. :)

c69k, crazy08, Genryuu and 1 other person like this.
  8. JRBruett

JRBruett Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I didn't do the best job putting them on, as you can see. I will probably redo it sometime to make it look more even. Having that said, they are small enough and out of the way enough, you really don't notice, it is a little harder if you want to slide it on a desk (friction of rubber), but I think these feet are made for furniture which could weigh 200-500 lbs. They really do a fantastic job of providing better airflow to the computer.

In the picture, the red circles are the pads that actually touch the table, and the blue do not. The blues are there to basically provide a little more support if I unintentionally tilt the computer. the main heroes in this set up are the two by the grill. You can really tell a huge difference in physical airflow from the CPU vent on the side with these. I have a anemometer that I use for work I did a test before and after the rubber feet, the speed of air coming out of the CPU vent was 27% higher with the rubber feet than without, so clearly this makes a difference.

Here are some pictures of the feet, and a ~10 min OCCT stress test. r4.png 2018-04-07-21h36-Temperature-Core #0.png

9. abhay4sengars

abhay4sengars Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Images are still broken. Please upload on sites like Imgur and then paste the direct link

Vasudev, Kalen and Papusan like this.
  10. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is 100% true, I've experienced this on my personal unit where I used K5 Pro on the MOSFETs around the GPU just to fill a 0.1-0.2mm gap. Now the GPU stuttering is back. Seems like it lasted 7 months with light to medium usage

c69k likes this.