[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

309 vote(s)
    77.4%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You must not have read my post about the issues I was having.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My bad, mixed it up with another problem.

3. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's all good. I'm just glad my systems up and running again. Been about 3 weeks since it was down. Finally got to do a little gaming yesterday on my day off.

4. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

5. Nam Nguyen

Reputations:
    Nice. I love playing RTS games like Starcraft 2, Warhammer, etc and those games just absolutely fry my GPU and CPU. After repasting with LM the temperatures are much better but still pretty high(around 90-95). Oh well.

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Such temps with LM are not okay... Thats about 10c more than mine on traditional paste.

7. Nam Nguyen

Reputations:
    I would say it's kinda normal. Playing games like Overwatch, CSGO, League .... my temperature never reach 70. But RTS games like Starcraft 2, Warhammer really stress both your CPU and GPU. Its like running AIDA 64 GPU and CPU stress test at the same time.

8. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    With what clock speed? Dell's adverticed 44x or stock?
    Could you, please run Cinebench R15 and post pict with results and temp? For monitoring use HWiNFO64. Use High Performance Power plan in Windows. Thanks

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Star Craft 2 hardly stressed my laptop. Only the CPU but my gpu is doing hardly anything with everything on the highest settings. Current triple A titles need more.

10. JRBruett

JRBruett Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    pollll.PNG I a re-paste with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut the other night. I have had some interesting results.

First off, I think the repaste seemed to help at least a little bit. The CPU and GPU hit 85C and 82C, respectively on an AIDA64 cpu and GPU stress test after 45 mins. These number are down from the mid to upper 90Cs before the repaste.

But here is what is odd, I would think that a stress test like AIDA64 would be enough to tell me how hot it would get in the most extreme settings (no rear elevation, no undervolt, ect). However when I play Overwatch, after about 10 mins the temps have spiked dramatically beyond what any stress testing will do. The temps are about 95 for CPU and (a somewhat comfortable) 86 for gpu.
    These temps are helped very little with a -0.140 mv undervolt.

Here is the next odd thing, when I raise the rear end about a half inch or so, it massively reduces the temps. I played Overwatch for 3 hours the other night and the CPU never went above 75C and the GPU stayed at about 68C. The idle temps are also very impressive sitting at 40-42C between the core (there is about 4-5C diffs between the cores most of the time). This is also with little fan speed.

I of course, expected it to run cooler with better airflow; any computer would, but what I don't understand is why it is so drastic. I guess I expected it to maybe be a little better lifted in the rear but not cooler by 15-20C.

What could be causing this? Clearly airflow is a big part, but in my mind it should be able to run at least mid-upper 80sC when level and not have these drastic 95C+ temps. Is this a problem with my paste job? Wouldn't I see that with the idle temps then?

TLDR: Why is the temp difference so massive when I lift the back end?

The picture attached is of the temps Idling after an OCCT stress with a -0.140 Mv undervolt.