[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

309 vote(s)
    77.4%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. Genryuu

Genryuu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you!
    Here we have quite hot summers, around 30 degrees, and very high humidity.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's okay. Where I live it hits above 30C on daily basis and sub 40s sometime.

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Fuji pads are for rich people. I kid you not. You have absolutely no idea how tiny the pad they give you is.

One 145x145mm arctic pad is basically equal to almost 3 fuji, in terms of size...and cheaper.

Here is a fuji 1mm pad.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZSJQX0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a 1mm arctic pad:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYTTXSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using a fuji instead of an arctic will make absolutely no measurable difference in terms of overclocking. We don't even have VRAM or VRM temp monitoring on these systems anyway (some desktop video cards do, then you could do a comparison of the pads, provided you wanted to do all that repasting work....usually the ones who do that are the ones who get paid for it or are sponsored and do streaming/videos).

FastMover and Vasudev like this.
  4. Genryuu

Genryuu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the inputs guys, you helped me make up my mind :)

Falkentyne likes this.
  5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Arctic is fine. I prefer the elasticness of arctic as well.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Fully disassembled the laptop today. Because during a repaste a few weeks ago I lost some of the palmrest plastic clips.

Tips to prevent this, use a short spudger instead of a guitarpick or credit card. Those are too long and you might force the clips too much when using those. This was less of a problem with the Skylake versions and 17inch versions though from studying videos and photos. But even the Alienware team lost a few of those clips in their official disassembly video. So be careful.

Anyway, replaced the palmrest which is a pain to do, really everything needs to be disassembled for it, took me about 1 hour but it was worth it to bring my machine back to perfection.

Some notes for others who need to fully dissemble the machine:

-The Trackpad assembly is also stuck by very strong adhesive by the way and not only screws. So be careful. Cut the adhesive away with a pick between the palmrest and trackpade on the left and right side.

- When you disassemble remove the screenlid. Raise the palmrest on 2 rolls of tape while unscrewing the hinges or else you risk breaking of clips as well since you are placing the palmrest onto those clips on the bottom to unscrew the hinge on the topside.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    *Update*

Took the system apart again and looked everything over. Nothing seemed out of place. The Conductonaut still looked good. I smoothed it out once again just to make sure there was even coverage. After putting the system back together it finally booted up. I have no idea what was causing my issue, but it seems to be all fixed now. Been a day now and the temps are looking good and no issues so far.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Could be the way you tightened the bolts on the heatsink. The order of how you tighten them affects the pressure. But even the method of assembling the motherboard to the palmrest assembly. I noticed that if you tighten down the right fan of the heatsink last it will put some extra pressure to the heatsink. If you tighten the left side firsth you create more pressure on the GPU side instead.This happens probably because the heatpipes ar enot perfectly straight.

9. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Could be, but I doubt it. I always tighten them down in order. Even it was uneven, would that cause the system to not even boot into the BIOS?

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well i could replicate it myself so....

And why wouldnt it boot in such a case? It only affects your temps.