[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

309 vote(s)
    77.4%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. AmourAngels

AmourAngels Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you try that SSD in another computer, see if it shows up?

2. Invisible_Kid

Invisible_Kid Newbie

Reputations:
    hey guys, i just bought an alienware 15 R3 a few weeks ago. Thermals were a bit higher, no throttling though, but i went for liquid metal for ice cold laptop. Thermals improved, but not as expected, so i ordered new thermal pads to change. I have the i7 7820hk model with GTX1070, the pads thickness are the same as AW17 R4 with GTX1070? can anyone confirm this please?

3. galloween

galloween Newbie

Reputations:
    Could any one point me to where the keyboard back light connector is located? After repaste the backlight on the keyboard no longer works. I think I may have missed a connector. Would much appreciate any help.

thanks

4. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm losing my mind here.

I have a 17 R4 with a GTX 1080 and 7820HK. When I got my system last year I repasted with Conductonaut and reppaded with Fujiploy pads. Temps were good, but not as great as others. I was still able to game without any heating issues. A month ago I noticed some artifacts while playing The Division. I noticed temps were a little high, but nothing that should cause any artifacts (80-90 tops). I decided to repaste and repad once again. I got another tube of Conductonaut and went with Arctic pads as they were cheaper, but had good reviews.

Here is my issue. My CPU temps are f**king crazy. Idle I'm looking at 50-60+ constantly fluctuating. When I try to run OCCT it immediately quits after maybe 5-10 secs with temps into the 100s. I took my system apart and checked everything over. I did notice that some left over thermal pads were still on the CPU heatsink essentially causing me to double up. I figured that was the culprit. I cleaned it off and put some fresh pads down. Put everything back together and still got crazy high temps. I don't know what else to do. I have a little conductonaut left over, should I try repasting once again? My GPU is ice cold. I don't even feel any hot air coming out of the CPU fans nor does the heatsink feel hot.

On a side note I found that The Division has red and green artifacts when you run it on DX12. DX11 has no issues. So it was essentially a software issue and I really didn't need to repaste or repad. Plus the sata cable broke and I had to wait on a new one. Got that one in and it's still very touchy. Takes multiple times before the hdd gets recognized. ****ty design imo.

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Did you use conductonaut on the CPU only or on the GPU?
    did you apply nail polish coats over the SMD resistors if you applied it on the GPU? (Super 33+ tape works well too, but don't ever leave those things exposed. Not only can it cause a short, if it doesn't happen to short 2 resistors, it can STILL EAT THE SOLDER and make the SMD fall off!

Conductonaut is expensive. If you're going to experiment with applications, buy something cheaper and a lot more of it, and get a cheap syringe from a pharmacy to put it in (You will still need some sort of cap that fits over the nozzle, however).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Galinstan-...372053?hash=item4b38602455:g:488AAOSwzBJaf3aT

6. SkylineLvr

Reputations:
    Been doing this for years. Used Super 33+ and ensured it didn't get anywhere besides the die and heatsink. Both GPU and CPU have conductonaut on it. $14 on Amazon, not that expensive. As stated earlier, my first time repasting and repadding this system went fine. Second time around and I'm having issues.

7. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Check that the fans work as intended. And ask Dell support for new TRIPOD Heatsink replacement and start all over again. Dell will probably send one of their tech to replace it. Afterwards you can repaste-repad it yourself.

Vasudev and Donald@Paladin44 like this.
  8. SkylineLvr

Reputations:
    Everything was working just fine, just overheating like crazy. I took it apart again and swapped out the pads on the cpu just to see if maybe they were a bit too thick. Now my system won’t boot up. It powers on, fans kick in, but then it turns off and the alien head is an amber color. Not sure if it’s the CMOS or not. It did this earlier today, but booted up after a couple tries.

Unfortunately I am deployed so any replacement parts will have to wait until I’m home. May end up sending it in as I’ve been having a hell of an issue with the HDD recognizing. I’m thinking it may be motherboard related.

Donald@Paladin44 likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    You have paid Premium price for the day after home tech support. I would never ever send the notebook into Dell depot for repair. Oh'well, your choice.

10. SkylineLvr

Reputations:
    I could care less. I’m getting tired of this damn system. I can send it in or they can come out. If they fix it, great. If not, I’ll take a replacement that will hopefully work.

Vasudev and Donald@Paladin44 like this.