[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

234 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. No.

20 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Maybe.

64 vote(s)
    20.2%
  1. qajteq

qajteq Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi
    Im about to get AW 13 R3. My question is, because I'v seen some posts regarding this, there are 2 variations of heatsink in 15 R3. Sunbeen (or something like that) and Tripod?
    I wonder, what if I stumble on the worse one? Is there even a point to repase laptop and play with it or just resend it to dell due to high temps?
    I'm want to achieve as cool laptop as possible (LM + undervolt) not as high OC and performance, so I'd really like to make this right.
    Could someone explain me the thing with heatsinks?
    Also
    I'm deep in computers and stuff, done dozens repasting, PC builds, laptops cleaning, and I'm confident about LM even when there is risk. Are they many cases of failure? Because I'm only seeing joy of -20C temps drop, but never stumbled across person who fryed his laptop. Can't remind about examples in PC cooling either, so its striked me like something regular + some electrical tape but other than that we're good to go?
    Thanks for all, and have a nice day!

2. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You are deep in computers, so you enlighten us...

3. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    MiSJAH's guide on how NOT to Liquid Metal repaste!!

0lok, Falkentyne and Vasudev like this.
  4. Shozuki

Shozuki Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    sorry to double post. Just wondered how much thermal grizzly conductonaut I need for my 17 R4 1g or 5g?

Thanks!!

5. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had a failure with LM on my first XPS 15. Fried the GTX 1050! Great care is needed and protection against pump out is essential

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1g is more than enough for 2 to 3 repastes for sure

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Vasudev and Shozuki like this.
  7. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1D46CAB0-8156-48BE-955B-E02625BCFDA6.jpeg Hi guys,

What purpose do the blobs of glue serve on the corners of the gpu ..? See image. Is it to keep the gpu in place or stop it touching the board ?

8. Volovate

Volovate Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi to everybody on this forum. It's a great forum and a lot of details needed are more than provided.
    I plan on repasting my Alienware 17 R4 but I'm wondering on how important are the cooling pads?
    They are quite expensive (if I'm to buy 3x1.0mm and 3x0.5mm) for my gtx 1080 equipped laptop - around 11£ a piece so only the pads will go over 65£ to buy here in UK.
    I will repaste using liquid ultra from CooLaboratory as I used it to repaste my last Alienware 18 and I was more than pleased with the result I got with the 4940MX cpu.

Regards

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They're not expensive at all.
    Just buy the Arctic 145x145mm pads. You can get the big 1mm and 0.5mm pads.

USA site but
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYTTXSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYTTLI4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know a few users hate the arctic pads but they work just fine, are flexible and won't crumble when disassembling, AND don't cost a kidney like the Fujipoly pads do (paying for something less than 1/4th the size for the same price is highway robbery).

10. Harkaran Singh Bindra

Harkaran Singh Bindra Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey @iunlock ..!! Hope you're doing good.
    I've read and watched almost everything you have posted here and your youtube interview and stuff. I have to say that's some excellent work. It's a shame we pay so much money to Dell and they aren't doing anything about it even after your extensive tests and results and views. I love my laptop. I've always been a fan of Alienware and I'm really thankful to them for making such a good laptop, but they really should hire you to work on the upcoming models. Or atleast fix it and give an honorary mention.
    Anyway,
    I own an Alienware 17R4 - 7820hk, GTX1080, 16GB 2667, 120HZ 2k model. I live in India. I purchased this in USA when i was visiting last year. I have a 4 years premium support with 4 years accidental warranty. And based on everything i've read, my warranty won't be void after following your guide. I'm facing the same problem as everyone i guess, CPU temps easily reach 100c on all cores, there's a sensor named CPU package - which reaches 105c. The GPU reaches 90+c after playing for like 15 minutes. I have ordered Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, Scotch 33+ tape and Arcticlean Kit. I just need a little help deciding which pads to get, there are two available - a 17W/mk and a 11W/mk, which one should i order..?
    Also please help me with a size of the heatsink for the PCH mod, and if i should use LM here or not, i mean it's gotta be loose what with only glue to hold it together.?
    Thanks again for making our life easier. Good day.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 6:49 AM