[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

267 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Maybe.

69 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. AmourAngels

AmourAngels Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm I post my question here. This is actually in my other post

I just did a re-paste, re-pad, copper shim pad CPU and GPU. Grizzly Conductonaut, Alphacool 11W/m K pad
    The temps look OK.
    Then I selected OC Level 3 in the BIOS, it showed:
    1 Active Core: 44
    2 Active Core: 43
    3 Active Core: 43
    4 Active Core: 42
    and +100mV to CPU Voltage.

For the "stock" OC Level 3, Prime95 seems stable (didn't run it for long) but when I tried to set all of them to 44 and do a Prime95 test I had BSoD immediately (understandable). Then I increase the additional CPU Voltage from +100 to +105, +110, +115 and for each I run Prime95 again but all the time it reported failure at one certain core VERY SOON. Why is that? I just changed the max speed of 3 cores a bit and I already applied 15mV more. It makes me think that the failure has a different cause rather than the voltage.

My questions are:
    1) In Dell's OC Level 3 why with more than one active core the max speed is reduced?
    2) Why did I always have a failure running Prime95 after I set all cores to 44 with additional voltage? It happened very soon.
    3) Is my temp acceptable? Running Prime95 (produce max heat option) at Dell's OC Level 3: Max core temp was 81 C, max differences were within 5 C. Room temperature was about 30 C.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's voltage.
    You understand that if you get an instant BSOD at a certain vcore (let's say, 1.15v), if the BSOD was INSTANT, then that means you're going to need at least 1.20v to even have a chance at passing it. A BSOD in 1 second means your system is not even stable enough for anything. So you're looking at +150mv for starters.
    You can't expect to go from instant BSOD (example, 1.15v) and expect 1.165v to not give a core error.

This is just an example. You're better off using MANUAL voltage so you know exactly what voltage you need for stability. Only mess with offsets once you know what adaptive voltage is giving you to begin with.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what volt is stock, but if he put in +115mv on top for 44x he is nearer 1.35v:rolleyes:

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Oh I mixed up 15mv and 115mv. Oh Well. I deserve this.

That being said, I know of no 7820HK that will not do x44 at 1.35v IF re-pasted. 1.35v is extremely high. But on tripod heatsinks. that's 100C if vcore is 1.35v.....

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  5. AmourAngels

Reputations:
    I don't know, damn Prime95 threads just failed at exactly one core everytime. Then the rest run happily...
    Max temperature during the test (before and after 1 core failed) never exceeded 83C...with ambient temperature about 30C.
    So you said I probably have a defect CPU?

6. neptune7

neptune7 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi mate, i purchased AW 15 r3 with 6700hq CPU. My temp are so bad (95°) so i want try to repaste.
    My notebook mount GTX 1070 as GPU.
    Ok for thermal paste, but I would know for my notebook the tickness of Thermal pad should i use. Which photo I've to see?
    Thanks in advance

7. AmourAngels

Reputations:
    Yes I think you definitely should do a repaste. And if you want a bit adventure do a liquid metal repaste.
    The correct thickness you should use should be measured by yourself only because each heatsink is different.
    You can use a very cheap and soft thermal pad with different thicknesses, then install the heatsink back WITHOUT ANY PASTE (well I capitalized those words because if you do it you will waste your time and money, also in the case of liquid metal, you can accidentally let it goes to the board). After that remove the heatsink and observe the dens that those chips made on the thermal pads. You know what to do next.
    Also you can observe by your eyes and a good flash light.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. neptune7

neptune7 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok Thanks. The problem is only around the CPU , the white pad (0.1m Thick) do not touch under chips. That's normal?

9. AmourAngels

Reputations:
    That white pad is not directly related to your CPU temperature. But any thermal pad should touch the chip it is designed to cool, or better touch well (a bit pressed to the chip). So you'd better fix it.

10. zeverus

zeverus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks,

This guide, among others, has made me feel confident about my choice in buying the Alienware 17 R4.

Is there a big thermal output difference between the GTX 1070 and 1080 after repaste?

Vasudev likes this.