[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

209 vote(s)
    74.1%
  2. No.

16 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Maybe.

58 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    If the cooling is proper and correct sized, you don't see the big gain with LM on graphics. Same for Cpu cooling for desktops.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. ShotOfB12

ShotOfB12 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is definitely the case. Used LM on my desktop gtx 980 and 1080 with no gains whatsoever. If you want cooler GPU temps, water is the way to go.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  3. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Most of the time GPU-Z shows me that I'm hitting power limits on the card. I would've expected however that reduced temps on the CPU would yield lower temps on the GPU as well since they have to share less heat. Perhaps it just means the GPU can go crazier? I did notice that turning Vsync on in GTA:V will let the card boost to 1900MHz sustained instead of the normal 1600~1700MHz. It also drops the temps by a couple of degrees.

Either way, still pretty good results.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Pascal is limited by temperatures and by TDP. The GPU doesn't throttle all the time obviously. It only throttles (Power limit) when it gets put under heavy load and power draw exceeds what its rated for. That is when you get power limit. Overclocking the card gains some minor benefits, usually when the GPU is at high load, but due to what is being rendered, is below the TDP, so a higher core clock=more FPS (as long as the GPU is being close to fully utilized). But yes, overclocking the card gains a few FPS (maybe up to 5% more) and simply makes it TDP throttle more often.

this affects 1070 laptop cards more than 1080 laptop cards. For 1080's, this depends. If it's a 150W or 180W card, that's also going to throttle like crazy too. the MSI and Clevo cards have an auxiliary power connector, and are 200W cards, so they will TDP throttle less, and have some more room for overclocking. The 115W 1070 cards gain the most benefit from a TDP mod from a hardware programmer (going from 115W to 150W TDP is enough to stop most power throttling on the 1070, then you can overclock it 200+ or more, and then you should have VREL throttling. 170W should stop all power throttling until you start playing with the curves to change the voltage).

Drinky and Vasudev like this.
  5. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a completely off-topic question. Is it possible to undervolt these laptop GPUs? That would probably take some heat off and allow them to boost a bit harder as well. However for me in afterburner all the voltage controls are locked.

6. Fox Kid

Fox Kid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What kind of glue should I use for the PCH?
    I'm going to apply liquid metal, replace thermal pads, and do the PCH mod today or tomorrow... but I think this is my only questions.
    Will post results.

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Use Kryonaut first instead of LM.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Fox Kid

Fox Kid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I already did and it wasn't enough sadly. CPU still hit 90C even when unclocked and undervolted lol.
    I have an Alienware 17 R2 so it's a little different.
    What glue?

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For 15 r1 and 17 r2, ask @judal57

10. Fox Kid

Fox Kid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm not sure how to ask them...
    I need to know what glue to use to attach the PCH mod.