[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

173 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. No.

13 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. Maybe.

51 vote(s)
    21.5%
  1. TeeJ911

TeeJ911 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the 17 R4 and it is a 330w. I also have the 7820k and 1080 in it so that could be the difference of others that have the 17 r4.

Vasudev and iunlock like this.
  2. Wheels.

Wheels. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes sir

Vasudev and iunlock like this.
  3. Wheels.

Reputations:
    I have owned Alienware for 9 years now and in that time they have received a lot of my frustration. It took me a while to learn that patience gets you a lot further with those people. We are definitely alike. It is also my lifeline and primary method of relaxation and stress relief. Shooting people in games keeps me from wanting to shoot people for real lol.

SimplyJ3sse, Jedi2155 and iunlock like this.
  4. Wheels.

Reputations:
    I just got word from Dell that they will be doing a system exchange. When I receive it I'm going to turn it on long enough to ensure that it is problem free, then it's off to iunlock. For the sake of my sanity, hopefully third time will be the charm.

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Accepting repastes!

Reputations:
    don't jinx it

Vasudev likes this.
  6. capmgn

capmgn Newbie

Reputations:
    This is my first time using liquid metal paste and I was really worried about using too much. In retrospect, my drop was about half the size of the one in this guide. After reassembling everything, I was horrified to discover that my temps had gone UP a few degrees. I was averaging about 96-98 Celsius while playing BF1.

The next day, I decided to give it another go. I carefully taped everything up, applied about twice as much paste and took more time spreading it around. Thankfully, my temps are now between 70-77 Celsius, depending on that I'm playing.

Thanks for the guide!

iunlock likes this.
  7. Wheels.

Reputations:
    I thought of quite a few responses to that, but they all seem to jinx it more. lol

If whatever entity is in control of dishing out jinxes thinks I deserve more sh*t than I've already gone through than fine, I'll target all my rage towards the source of it all and see just much stink I can raise for Dell. My friend has been telling me repeatedly that all of us who have been given this defective product time and again should open a class action lawsuit. He has a good point. I just don't know how to get it started. If the next computer has any issues I'll sure as hell find out.

8. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz

Reputations:
    You're welcome. :) Glad it helped.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. iamsinner

iamsinner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys. I decided to contact Dell as I can't find a permanent solution regarding my issue. It seems it is the DC-IN that has a problem. But then, the motherboard itself has to be replaced. I just have one concern. I repasted my unit with IC Diamond and I used the Super 33+ for safety purposes. And I left it there until now. Is it okay to leave there? I mean, what if the technician saw it? Will he still continue to replace the motherboard? Thank you.

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Remove the tape, it isn't needed.

MogRules likes this.