[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

173 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. No.

13 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. Maybe.

51 vote(s)
    21.5%
  1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    iunlock is one of those people who really should be working for Intel. He's THAT good and careful.

Vasudev and iunlock like this.
  2. Wheels.

Wheels. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lmao. "I wasn't built properly". I actually laughed out loud about you saying the mobo had to be replaced. That will be my third mobo in this computer lol. It makes sense though; they've soldered everything to the mobo so any time anything goes wrong the whole board is replaced. I'm sure it saves them money.

Thanks for the help, but I always make sure to ignore that sensor the first time I receive the prompt with the warning message. I just double checked to be sure.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just FYI the length of a time a computer is on will not affect the max temps it can hit. Also, if you aren't taking screenshots immediately WHILE gaming the temps drop off rather quickly after closing CPU/GPU intensive applications.

4. TeeJ911

TeeJ911 Newbie

Reputations:
    I understand. I should have mentioned HWinfo was running the entire time too so that is a sample for the whole 48 hours of Max, Mins, Avg. Actually I see at the bottom of the HWinfo it was for 35 hours but the point is still valid.

5. Wheels.

Reputations:
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I was already leaning towards it but your temps sealed the deal. It's bullsh*t that these ridiculously priced computers require these modifications to perform how they should from the start, but at least we have the people here to fall back on.

6. TeeJ911

TeeJ911 Newbie

Reputations:
    Agreed!!! If it makes it any better in terms of helping you swallow the extra cost. You actually get a lot more cooling and therefore (depending on your chips) more overhead on the overclocking of anything that Dell could provide w/ stock cooling

7. Wheels.

Reputations:
    That does help. I'm looking forward to the OC profiles provided in the cost. The biggest thing I'm getting out of this is peace of mind. I have had nothing but problems and insecurity for the 6 months I have owned this machine, so it will be so nice to have that weight off my shoulders. I just want to play my damn games before the next semester starts.

8. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What's the wattage on the power brick that comes with the AW17 R4's? 330w?

9. TeeJ911

TeeJ911 Newbie

Reputations:
    You and I sound a lot a like. Dell support seemed like very nice people and I am sorry if they got the short end of my frustration but if my computer was going to leave me it was coming back to me forever and worry free. My computer is my life line to the outside world when at work and I am a light gamer at home, it is how I relax.

iunlock likes this.
  10. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mines is 250W

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk