[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

309 vote(s)
    77.4%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    That's a good question. :)

When I balance the heat sink, I use special vice like grips and controlled heat to "remold/bend" the heat sink to where it needs to in order to eliminate any tension it is causing on any of the mounting points.

Yes this is very different than simply bending the CPU arm.

I also go through several runs of commercial grade pressure paper to ensure that the coverage is as even as possible. Almost darn near perfect.

This is the reason behind the results that I post showing the very minimal core differentials if at all...

Ensuring that you have the best possible contact also extends the longevity of the repaste in general, because when metal heats up it expands and when cooled it contracts.

Therefore, if you have one mounting point going this way and the other points going that way, unless the actual structural part of the metal is tamed/fitted/adjusted (in simple terms) it can lead to warping where on a flat surface, it will often times compensate by warping the areas where it shouldn't. Hope that makes sense..

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    so you basically twist and reshape the copper heatpipes slightly? any pictures?

3. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    @iunlock As the other Alienware forum thread is closed... New units with same TRIPOD mess is out. I will edit this post later with new examples. Bookmark the post if wanted:cool: Or you could make a thread especially for this!!

Edit. New one -

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  4. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I have some new data and info as well regarding the contrast we're seeing with the latest systems...

I'll make a thread later for sure..

::iunlock::

5. Jayce 71

Jayce 71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was messin' around with turbo voltage, (something I hadn't touched) yesterday. Ran a Cinebench 15 for 936cpu @ 4.2Ghz. Very pleased with the 6820.

6. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    we already have a dedicated thread for this
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...u-core-temperature-differential-issue.805062/

and i agree with you, even with newly build laptop as recent as early May, and heatsink assembly revision A01, this problem is still there.

Papusan likes this.
  7. jfrago_52@yahoo.com

jfrago_52@yahoo.com Newbie

Reputations:

Hello,
    Not sure how to contact you. No pm access yet. Hope this is fine. I'm looking to find out if you can do a repaste on my dell aw 17r. Please let me know. Thanks.

8. LargeIntestine

LargeIntestine Newbie

Reputations:
    @iunlock Please ping me -- I would like your help in repasting my AW 17R4 as well. Thanks!

9. dawnbring

dawnbring Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

I just bought an Alienware 17 R4 (6700HQ - GTX 1070). It is lovely but my temps are high, hitting 85+ for the CPU and the GPU, so I am obviously considering a repaste.

My problem is that I cannot easily get thermal pads where I live. I can get Grizzly for a fair price but pads are a problem. I cannot get Fujipoly pads at all.

What I can get are only these, nothing else is available and I cannot order from abroad:

Arctic Thermal Pad (easy to find and buy)
    EK Water Blocks thermal pad (slightly cheaper than the arctic but only 3.5W/mK on paper?)
    Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 (nearly three times the price of arctic)
    Gelid GP Extreme (same price as the arctic but only up to 80mm x 40mm available, I don't know if that's long enough because the guide recommends 100mm long strips?)

What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

10. flashtu

flashtu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi i used:
    2 package of Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 - 120 × 20 × 1,0 mm
    2 package of Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 - 120 × 20 × 0,5 mm
    works perfekt is very sticky which make it much easier to hold it in place at the cooler.