[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

304 vote(s)
    77.2%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I agree with all that. But many people flood Alienware sponsored posts with hatred and besides them just having better/comparable build quality... its cheaper if you do a bit of searching. Like you can save about 35% of the cost of a new laptop by using gift-card reselling sites, finding a Dell brand ambassador and using cashback sites. The same can't be said for a MSI website, or BB, Amazon, etc. Their gift cards don't have good sales, idk of any brand ambassadors for them offering discounts like Dell though, and cashback sites don't give you sht for those big companies like BB, amazon, costco, whatever. I'm not sure what makes a place give 10% cashback from Dell's website but I ain't complaining haha

2. Niarus

Niarus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, after three attempts to improve CPU temps I've managed to OC my 7820HK to 47, though it throttles back to 44 during loads.. What else it can be, apart insufficient amount of LM? Laptop sitting on 1" legs, so ventilation should be fine.
    [​IMG]

Edit: that must be due to TDP limit, though I'm not sure how to tweak it properly...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    therock2284 likes this.
  3. Da_Teach

Da_Teach Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Soon to be a (hopefully) proud owner of a Kaby Lake 17R4 with GTX 1080 and 3k screen. If I decide to keep it I will be repasting it with this guide.

The guide seems clear (and easy) enough. The PCB mod is a little unclear (how high is that heatsink, and what material).

But I just have a question about the thermal pads.

It's near impossible to get the Fujipoly thermal pads here in The Netherlands (no store sells them). But I can get Gelid Solutions Extreme thermal pads. Link here:
    http://gelidsolutions.com/thermal-solutions/accessories-gp-extreme/

It has 1mm and 0.5mm pads (as suggested by the guide), just different dimensions.

Is this an upgrade of stock pads? Or should I just either leave the stock pads or really get the Fujipoly pads?

4. Niarus

Reputations:
    For PCB mod - iunlock suggested aluminium heatsink with dimensions 20mm x 20mm x 6mm, though the height should be reduced a bit, I made it ~4mm instead of 6.

I also couldn't find Fujipoly thermal pads and used Alphacool Eisschicht 14W/mK thermal pads, and they perform very well, and I believe Gelid Solutions Extreme should work great too. And you definitely need to remove stock pads (it should be mentioned in the guide, read carefully and check the notes on the images), except 0.1mm ones.

iunlock likes this.
  5. RikRankin

RikRankin Newbie

Reputations:

6. RikRankin

RikRankin Newbie

Reputations:
    I used gelid extreme and it seems to have worked a treat. I can't get a hold of fuji here in the UK either. Definitely replace those thermal pads though. They're garbage. On the little 1mm squares make sure and peel off the thin layer of plastic that I found the old pads leave behind. Easy to miss.

One thing I will say about the Gelid stuff is... Buy a little extra. It's a little tricky to work with. Mainly the 0.5mm and I tore one or two pieces taking the plastic off. Easy enough though!

7. QuillP

QuillP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I do not understand one thing. In the PCB mod @iunlock uses coppers hs + fujipoly pads, with the aluminum also uses fujipoly pads under the HS too?
    And use duct tape to fix the heatsink?

8. therock2284

therock2284 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

You ever get it to run at x47? I am also having similar results when trying to push it to x47 and its not heat related since my temps are nice and cool.

9. Niarus

Reputations:
    Check this out, an updated version of mod. First you put a 33+ tape around the chip, then clean up both surfaces (chip & HS) as usual. After you need to apply a bit of thermal paste on the chip and then put the HS the same way as in photo. To keep HS in place, iunlock used Loctite Ultra Gel Super Glue. Though I've used Thermal Conductive Heatsink Plaster instead just in case (but it dries much longer than Loctite Glue, so I had to left it for 4 hours).
    [​IMG]

10. Niarus

Reputations:
    Nope, I wasn't able to reach 47. I've stopped at 45 with a quite high voltage ~1.35mV and temps (high 80s due to voltage).. Either I'm doing something wrong, or just my lottery wasn't that lucky :) Anyway even if I could, I don't wish to push the CPU that far, even 44 is enough for me (but not really required). I believe that for heavy tasks you need a good rig with more cores.