[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you be repasting your 17R4/15R2?

1. Yes.

291 vote(s)
    76.4%
  2. No.

19 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Maybe.

71 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes. What I am saying is, browsing the internet and even playing light games before, never would turn the fans on due to temps being much lower. Or at least it did it such few times that I thought it never happened. I always remembered my CPU being in the mid 40s, or lower than 50. But now its like high 40s and hitting 50s which causes the fan to increase speed.

I thought since doing my first LM repaste ever that I had done something wrong and it dried up, but even that wasn't the case since cleaning it off and applying Kryonaut resulted in nearly the same exact temperatures and fan speeds. Either way, max temps seemed consistent and I went and used HWinfo to create my own fan profiles. Not exactly a fix but its a workaround.

Edit: I have to do some more testing... randomly, for no reason that I can think of, with a video loaded and typing this, CPU temps are 37, 38, 37, 37 and GPU 37. Fans aren't even running that I can hear (1000RPM set in HWinfo). Something is wrong somewhere with software. I have two 1080p videos running and it hovers around 43-46C on all cores, as it once did. Closing one video results in a near immediate drop to 40-42C with just the one video while typing this. Maybe there is a conflict somewhere with power settings, that's where I was clicking around before I saw the major drop, but I didn't change the power setting

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    c69k likes this.
  2. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Newer BIOS or VBIOS or OC profiles?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    None of that. I just did a fresh install of Nvidia and Intel video drivers, gonna see if that helps.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If you don't have any bloat or unwanted trash running from Windoze... You should see almost zero power utilization in task manager or in ThrottleStop monitoring in idle mode.

Vasudev and Matthew Gary like this.
  5. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    I think I figured out the problem, kinda. Running more than one display runs the GPU @ about 30W vs the idle 7.4W. Except, I am pretty sure for the past 2-3 weeks except yesterday I was only using a single display. The whole reason I reinstalled drivers yesterday was so I could turn off the laptop screen while using my 144hz monitor and 4K TV, but it was being problematic before and wasn't possible (I think due to not having Intel GPU drivers installed). So maybe since I would often unplug and re-plug monitors and switch around screens, maybe it got stuck somehow and always thought I was running two or duplicating? Idk.

Edit: so that was definitely the problem. Which raises a few questions... firstly being, I'm not sure how I didn't notice so it must have been a bug with something (i would notice in minutes if my mouse was moving further than the screen) and secondly...

Is it normal for temperatures to drop pretty much 10C for CPU and GPU when going from dual-displays to single display?? I mean I can understand a small increase, but 10C? Anyone else able to test their temperatures connected with one display and then set to extend to another, I am curious if everyone else experiences the same

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  6. Royce1920

Royce1920 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Quick question, is the heatsink of the 6700HQ the same as for the 7820HK ?

As I posted before my replacement unit, a 7820HK GTX1070 is running very hot but I still have my old unit, a 6700 GTX1070 that was running much cooler. What if I swap the heatsink before sending back the old one ?

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I doubt you'd get a difference since the heatsinks are same and only CPU is different. At what frequency 7820HK is running? Is it stock or OC'ed?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  8. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    I agree, considering all the problems others have had its much more likely that someone had screwed up with the thermal pads/paste as opposed to one just having a better heatsink. Besides, I'd hope they'd include a better heatsink for the X820K's, but they don't, cuz the HQ's can't exactly use it (ofc everything can use a better heatsink, but you know what I mean)

9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The only difference is the 1080, 1070, or 1060.

With the 1080 you get the thickest heatpipe, with 1070 it's slightly smaller, and the 1060 model is smaller than 1070 and has less pipes.

What CPU is inside doesn't change the heatsink, only the GPU model.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Here ya guys go...

OP updated.

Enjoy...

[​IMG]

MogRules, Bisvic and Vasudev like this.