Alienware 17R1 Zotac GTX 1060 Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Wolfdogelite, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfdogelite

Wolfdogelite Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I thought I was really close to finishing this up but it seems I've hit another snag. I'm unable to rewrite the vbios on this GPU with nvflash. I've tried multiple versions of the program, from current to one from April of 2016 based on a random forum post suggestion, with lots of conflicting instructions and guides. On newer versions of nvflash I can get it to recognize the Nvidia GPU, remove protections and even successfully backed up my current vbios, but when I go to update the new vbios it fails with the error: GPU mismatch.

This is using the command:
    nvflash64 -6 1060backup.rom
    This "-6" should be removing the very check that it's failing on, "Allow firmware and adapter PCI subsystem ID mismatch." I can't see a way around this. I found a couple guides recommending a bootable USB method, but seeing as the bootable USB is ms-dos or freedos based I can't boot from it with my bios settings on UEFI only mode, and I can't switch that to anything else without losing video output to my external screen.

The one thing I can't seem to follow on these guides is that they want the display device disabled in device manager, but I don't believe that is possible in this case as I would lose all video output since the iGPU will not work with the eDP 120hz panel, and from my understanding it's completely disabled when that panel is connected. It certainly doesn't show up under display devices.

I'm really curious if @Striker1234 did anything special to get his card to flash or if it was as simple as all the guides make it out to be.

I'm starting to think I need to find someone with an M17x Rx/ M18x R2 that can boot in UEFI+CSM mode to flash the card to an appropriate vbios and then I would be able to continue with modified drivers in my machine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. Wolfdogelite

Reputations:
    So I tried it, but it seems like nvflash just will not force the install with this GPU mismatch error. Is there any other way to force the update?

BTW, did you have to disable the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in Device Manager before you ran nvflash?

4. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the surefire way to do it is to get this programmer http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-TL866CS...454390&hash=item1c59ee0cc3:g:lR0AAOSw4DJYmtMy

youll need this clip http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOIC8-SOP8-...668772?hash=item44080a4c64:g:5NEAAOSwruhZitBW

and you should have this 1.8v adapter just to be safe. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8V-Adapte...788263?hash=item3aea1bb7e7:g:giwAAOSwUIhZYYx0

you can flash the bios with this programmer. I do it all the time. requires you remove the card and physically attach the programmer. aside from the mad scientist 80s hacker feel its actually quite simple

FaTT and Wolfdogelite like this.
  5. Wolfdogelite

Reputations:

Say no more, this is exactly what I need. Thank you sir, I'm going to order these up right away.

Also, This tool wouldn't happen to aid in reprogramming a dead panels EDID now, would it?

6. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is a general programer so if you can connect to it and it has a bios or something to that effect you can flash it

7. Wolfdogelite

Reputations:
    That is awesome, maybe I can save the 1080p panel I killed in my Precision with it too! Best of all, I now have the tool I need in the event that damn EDID corruption bug crops up again.

Thanks a lot EepoSaurus!

EepoSaurus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.