Alienware 17R1 GTX 1080!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by EepoSaurus, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey guys just want to start this thread. I purchased a 1080 mxm card for the F5 Tornado and I have successfully installed it into the 17R1. It posts with no issues and boots into windows. I have modified INF drivers installed but the issue is that I currently cannot test or run the card fully because the card itself is structurally different from the other mxm cards for the R1. The original heatsink will not work because the die is in a different position. I am currently in the process of making a custom heatsink but sourcing heatpipes and getting the right compound in order to weld the plate and radiator are taking time. As of now I can not say definitively that the 1080 is a viable upgrade as it may very well be beyond the power limitations of the alienware's motherboard. But I am very excited to be the first to try this and if I can get the heat sink situation solved and it passes testing then this old machine has done it again. I'll post a few pictures of the card in the laptop but I did not snap any of the device manager or gpuz screens.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4dlk0fipiEhcjVqcDV2Y0VEQ00?usp=sharing

temp00876, Striker1234, Nomad and 7 others like this.
  2. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    Good job my brother, don't forget to cool down the bottom too :D

ll_r1d0_ll likes this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Does it just fit right in or you had to do some cutting?

4. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    Quite a bit of cutting had to be done. It does not fit right in. As of now i am trying to make a plate and seeing about making or ordering custom heat pipes.

5. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    lots of cutting.

Anyways @EepoSaurus forgot you were on these forums, you could have/should have reminded me haha.

6. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    Ive mentioned it quite a few times.

7. woodzstack

Reputations:
    I didn't associate the name , I was thinking ebay the whole time... but now I remember more, and it makes more sense.
    hey it takes a long time for me to remember a client sometimes, I get like 10 strangers a day talk all day to me, and then never hear from them again, lol.

I haven;t gotten pricing on the heatsink yet, but will you provide pictures of it and some of my suggestions if I get you a deal on it ?

Also was thinking you might need a whole set of varying thermal pads, like 0.5mm, 1.0mm 1.5mm and 3mm sets to apply uniform contact.

8. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Saw your pics just now, yeah I will send you some thermal pad sets to help you make perfect - if you share total thickness and insight with us etc.. with the heatsink if you accept our offer.

Anyways, you should know, the AW17 has amazing amount of power to the MXM slot. So you might be perfectly fine.

Ashtrix likes this.
  9. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    Im really hoping so. Im documenting it all and i have a prototype heatsink which i am about to test. We will see how it works. Let me know about the heatsink

Ashtrix likes this.
  10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    That's pretty insane, keep us posted! IIRC, alienware 17/18 boards have a hard draw limit of 330W. How the heck are you going to fab a heatsink for that, it looks pretty crazy for a MXM card. the power components and memory components are flipped!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.