Alienware 17 Ranger 7 Beeps

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by patkiller99, Nov 17, 2020.

1. patkiller99

patkiller99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    same 7 beeps with or without GPU
    same 7 beeps without HDDs/SSD with other drive in
    same 7 beeps with all memory modules with different slots

so far i havent been able to boot it today since yersterday's miraculous boot of 40min

it has some weird beeping though after i try mr fox's nvram reset

it will beep (generally 1,2,5 or 7 beeps) kinda turn off ( as keyboard and all other lights turn off) beeping momentarily stops but quickly resumes to 7 beeps with lights turning on again... and inserting the ram module at that precise moment doesnt do anything as it just beeps 7 times forever

it did beep 2 times at some point (indicating the absence of ram) but after i inserted ram and powered it on, it went back to the 7 beeps

im starting to feel sad as i feel like you were right and the mobo is maybe dead....

i cant believe how a cmos battery can kill a motherboard...

my AW18 loss and those beep sounds are restarting to haunt me... :(:(

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Alienware 18 was a pretty terrible machine overall from its foundation, LVDS and poor mosfet choices make them blow up, Ranger is a bit better but its also considered the downward trend for Alienware as a brand.

Motherboards are about 120 last I saw, and the Ranger can be upgraded to a 1060/1070 epecially since you have eDP panel. However its up to you if you decide to go down that path.

@Papusan

Do you have any other ideas for troubleshooting this machine?

patkiller99 likes this.
  3. patkiller99

Reputations:
    Well idk i checked prices and i only found prices of 350-400+$ for the mobo... Where did you find that price ?
    yeah there are always options, i was planning to put a 980m or 1060 in the future but now...

idk man...

im a bit disgusted right now that a machine that worked flawlessly (with great cpu/gpu/pch temps) died just like that...

we ll see ill keep trying things for the next days/weeks maybe i will find a way to bring it back and will keep you updated
    thanks anyway man ;):(

4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Well to be fair, its 7 years old at this point.

They are 140 on ebay. Make sure to actually find your model laptop, there is cross pollination because the names are similar now with the newer stuff.

patkiller99 likes this.
  5. patkiller99

Reputations:
    yeah its true that 7yo of intense/long sessions of gaming wears the hardware out...

i might get a laptop with a 8750h and a 1070 for free from a family member as hes moving away from gaming so fingers crossed

but for now, i will try anything in my power to revive that 7yo beast ;):rolleyes: i have very important files in the raid0 and i just cant allow myself to lose them...

6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Thats why its generally not a great idea to run Raid 0 + Cache, best to at least have 0+1

7. patkiller99

Reputations:
    Update :
    Back to 7 beeps :(:(

Hello guys so i have some "good" news for you about my little 17 beast :)

So i was finally able to make the laptop kinda work (for now idk how long it will last)

So yesterday, i discovered a few links from the dell forum and some videos about dell 7 beeps talking about letting them beep for a while 30+min then shutting them down and restarting them...

So as a desperate attempt i tried the method this morning, the laptop beeped for an hour, and i noticed that it got SUPER hot (heat coming from the CPU/GPU), i turned it off, turned it on again and MAGIC, it booted, i immediately ran the diagnostic tool, which ended up returning no error, i tried turning it off and on again, no more 7 beeps for now

So i guess its about some chip (idk if the cpu socked can have broken solders) either the CPU, the CPU socket, the chipset itself or anything that got hot enough to "resolder" what was broken....

I know its a temporary fix ( which might not work forever) but i guess it we at least know what the main issue is !

:):rolleyes:

Here are all the links :

https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...o-7-beep-code-at-start-up/m-p/3671264#M593943

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Maxware79 likes this.
  8. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, famous blanket magick