Alienware 17 R5 (R1) BIOS Unlocked!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Striker1234, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for this!
    I have a question... How do you updated the Intel RST EFI?, does this also affect AHCI or only RAID?

Im asking you because I'm preparing a custom BIOS for my Alienware, and I want to update it...

2. javers

javers Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Striker,

I believe it should only affect raid as the ahci module is different. I got the files and guide from winraid https://www.win-raid.com/t19f13-Int...uot-and-quot-GopDriver-quot-BIOS-Modules.html

According to them v13.x of Intel RST will probably work in the AW17 but I just updated to the latest v12 as was unsure if changing major version might upset existing raid volumes (I use 2x 1tb hdd's with an 80gb ssd accelerator)

Javers

Striker1234 likes this.
  3. luiselric

luiselric Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Amazing job guys!! excuse me if this is not the right place to do this question, its my first message in the board:

Iam the happy owner of a Alienware 17r1 until the problem with the ac adapter detected as "unknow" and "connected but not charging" appear time ago, in the beginning just disconect and connect the psu, unistall acpi drivers and other methods works for me, now its necessary for me plug and unplug hundreds of times to repair it.

More info here: http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/inside-dell-ac-power-adapter-mystery-revealed

My questions is, iam thinking flash with the custom bios but don see anywhere his capabilities, with this custom bios its possible to bypass the ac adapter identification???

The ac adapter works well, and i dont know if the problem its te psu, the jack connector in laptop or the motherboard, i dont want waste 150€ in a new psu and dont resolve my problem. every time the ac adapter is not correctly detected the performance decrease and is impossible use for gaming.

Sorry for my bad english guys, english is not my native language, i expect not broke any board rule with this post.

4. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can customize it to avoid AC warnings...
    I do not know how this will affect real performance...

5. Nomad

Nomad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks Javers! I'm definitely trying this soon!

Ashtrix likes this.
  6. Quark

Quark Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it possible to know wich tag id has it? or anyone could tell me in wich point is it? thanks people

7. javers

Reputations:
    Yes its the same service tag as the original release - BVMLLX1

8. VoodooBane

VoodooBane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My Aw17 r1 ranger had a 4700MQ an a GTX 770m it. My screen is the horrible 1900x900 as well. I am very much planning to upgrade to the extreme i7 and upgrade to a gtx1070. My Question is it safe me to to flash to the A14+ unlocked in the mean time? As for the Microcode v22, is that included in the A14+ unlocked version? in any case if it is not a problem up grading to A14+ would i need to the install the micocode v22 before the A14+? Last thing is I need to make sure I edit the bios.bin with my current server tag right? I am sorry for all the FAQ...lol I just want to confirm the these answers to the these question before I go ahead an start.

Thanks guys let me know! :D

9. javers

Reputations:
    Hi VoodooBane,

Yes shouldn't be any risk in flashing A14+, I've not had any reports of it not working for people (you can always flash back to stock A14 using strikers recovery method if something did go wrong). Microcode v22 is included and yes just make sure you inject your own service tag to the bios.bin before flashing.

Javers

Ashtrix likes this.
  10. javers

Reputations:
    Hi Luiselric,

Sadly no the unlocked bios wont help with this problem as all you can do is say ignore the warnings. Problem will either be the identity chip in the psu, cable of the psu, motherboard dc jack or motherboard itself. Easiest way to start eliminating would be to borrow another psu (even the small dell ones will do, doesn't have to be alienware), go into the bios and see if its correctly reporting the wattage. If that works cosistently with the spare psu then your motherboard and jack are fine, but if not you can just replace the dc jack on its own as they are not soldered to the motherboard on the R1 and only cost around £6.

Javers

Ashtrix likes this.